Author Topic: Removal or reduction of precipitated silver oxide  (Read 663 times)

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
Removal or reduction of precipitated silver oxide
« on: March 09, 2021, 08:20:50 AM »
Is there a method, if when making 320ppm gel capped colloidal silver, one has silver oxide precipitate... can it still be further reduced? Or removed somehow? Or is the silver water unusable then and needs to be discarded?

I was running my colloidal silver setup at 140 degrees F. Much lower than usual and it turned out all grey in the end and I’m hoping to salvage it is there a way to do so?

I searched the forums for an answer with no avail...
Thank u all for the great knowledge base that is this forum and esp all hail the great Kephra!

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Removal or reduction of precipitated silver oxide
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:00:50 AM »
If it's overall really grey then you have a lot of large particles also. I would toss it.

I'm not aware of any method of fixing this, save for adding some extra reducer after the fact to catch the remaining silver ions. But this won't help much here.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:09:16 PM »
If it's overall really grey then you have a lot of large particles also. I would toss it.

I'm not aware of any method of fixing this, save for adding some extra reducer after the fact to catch the remaining silver ions. But this won't help much here.
Nor am I, but my mother had a small amount in the bottom of the bottle that went grey; she carried on using it for external purposes and said it was excellent!

However, I do agree about it being very large particles; it is probably a solution of suspended Ionic Silver Oxide particles, hence the grey colour.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:49:06 AM by cfnisbet »

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:18:02 PM »
How is it that one can keep from making large particles? Is it a current issue? Should i run a lower current than 15ma? Not enough heat or reducer to reduce?... the solution seemed fine up till i got to about 160ppm then after that began to get cloudy... i assumed it was simply the lower temp that did it... can i add more reducer if im at a lower temp? Will more reducer make reduction faster? Or can u just do that with heat?

Rancher55

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 01:36:07 PM »
I've experienced a similar issue recently.  I don't know if all "corn syrup" is the same.  Mine is branded Golden Barrel - Light Corn Syrup from Amazon. When using the calculations found in this forum for the correct amount of "corn syrup", I have had opalescence issues in some of my batches and when stored in transparent (1 gallon plastic jugs) and left in fluorescent light for a couple weeks, it turns turbid.  Its obvious there are unreduced silver ions that are agglomerating.

I made an experimental batch yesterday that I purposely added an excessive amount of corn syrup to see if I get a different result.  The answer is a resounding yes.  Of course I won't know for sure until I let it set in light, but there is no opalescence of any kind that I can see.  Based on my prior experience, I'm convinced all the silver ions have been reduced to nano-particles in this batch.

My batch was 4L water, 15ml undiluted "Golden Barrel" corn syrup, 4g beef gelatin bloomed in cold DW then warmed, stirred and added.  Electrolyte solution added to bring the voltage down to 11 volts.  Its worth noting that the "Vital Proteins" brand beef gelatin that I bought from Amazon does raise the conductivity of DW.  Its the only brand I have tried so I don't know if this is common among other brands or what (??)
Current limited to 20mA, 5 hours process time (processing for 100ppm), Heat stirred with average temperature 72C (would prefer it was a bit warmer but this is what I documented)

Photo attached of 100mL sample calibrated to 20ppm (20mL 100ppm with 80mL DW added)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 07:40:31 PM »
That does not look like 20ppm.  It either higher ppm, or larger particles.
If larger particles, it may be because you used an incorrect amount of electrolyte.
For 4 liters, you should use 4 ml of 1 molar sodium carbonate.
Adjust cell voltage by increasing or decreasing the amount of cathode in the water.
Do not adjust cell voltage by the amount of electrolyte.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.