Author Topic: High current Colloidal Silver, what am I making?? Safety and concerns.  (Read 1827 times)

bokeb

Lots of good info in this thread

@KeyoSuiRono , did you solve your issue?

Im still in the planning/preparatory/newbie stage so my opnion means little for now, but one thing that crossed my mind is maybe your beaker got silvet plated? I guess it need sto be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide occasionally?

KeyoSuiRono

Have been waiting for my beakers to arrive. Doind a couple of runs now, getting some turbidity.
Testing temperatures.
Not sure what's causing the turbidity yet.
Lower temps seems to be better. Around 40°c as opposed to 70°c. Using just cinnamon and electrolyte.

Maybe my 12.5mA is too high and causing a bit of the turbidity?

I'm trying for 200ppm. But even around 100ppm there is slight turbidity starting.

KeyoSuiRono

Just with a light on it it gets opaque. Trying a few different runs.. more cinn, less heat, lower mA.. hopefully I can figure it out.

Last 200ppm was pretty turbid in the light and did have a slight metallic taste.

Offline chrisflhtc

• Participant
Can you show a picture of your rig? How are you suspending the maple in the cell,Clip,Wire? And are you keeping the junction out of the cell? I run 17ma with my maple at 80-90c. using knox gelitain and Karo with the electrolyte.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
How'z about you go for 20PPM non-gel-capped (a.k.a. "naked") with one of the standard reducers (Karo, Maltodextrin,...) to see what your result looks like.  If you can't even make that, wasting silver at the higher PPMs doesn't make sense.

Others (myself included) have had issues with straight glucose (dextrose in food use) as a reducer. It can cause clouding.  I have a pound but I've chosen not to try it anymore.  My favorite reducers are karo for gel-capped at any PPM I make up to 120PPM and maltodextrin for 80PPM "naked".  I always keep a jar of that around because if you have a stomach virus or similar, gel-capped doesn't work in the stomach (by design - thats what the gelatine is for - to protect the silver particles from the action of the stomach so it all gets into the small intenstine as the same size particles you started with) where you really want to ingest the "naked" stuff.

"Figuring it out" sometimes requires going back to the basics and then slowly changing things one thing at a time to figure out what is actually causing it.

Thats really about the only advice I can offer.

Malto product will be darker for the greater amount of it needed as compared to karo, notwithstanding the fact that the malto molecules are much bigger than glucose which will darken the color too but at 20PPM Colloidal Silver made with either should be pretty clear.

I'd also suggest, if you do this, drop back to 3-5ma to see what the best you can get actually is. Here, you can produce and then reduce after the run because at 3-5ma you can produce cold (but over 75F - lets say barely lukewarm) which will yield the best quality product.  Just so its said, producing cold would have you heating the result up to maybe 130-150F before adding the reducer after the run because reducing sugars do so VERY slowly at colder temps.

KeyoSuiRono

Thank you for the input.

I'll take some pics on my next run, but I think the cell is good/junction is good.

I will try and get to the bottom of it.

Looks perfect until I get the torch out and shine a beam on the flask...

As usual Gene, you have been my main support here, I'm really grateful. I'll keep at it.