Author Topic: Am I off track or what?  (Read 506 times)

gurumics

Am I off track or what?
« on: July 08, 2021, 06:20:29 PM »
I may need some help here. For some unknown reason my batches seem to produce higher concentrations than what should be  made with the settings I use.

Case in point.  Here are my settings:

Distilled Water (ml)   1000
Desired PPM of Silver   40
Current to use (mA)   9.5
Time to complete (min)   63.2
Amt of Electrolyte (ml)   1
Amt of Maltodextrin (g)   0.56
Amt of Maltodextrin (tsp)   0.1344
I use two American eagle silver dollars for anode and cathode.

What I produced looks close to 320 ppm.  How can that be with my settings?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 06:41:26 PM by gurumics »

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Am I off track or what?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 06:07:32 AM »
Your math is correct. I can only assume the current you want is not the current you're actually getting. You have to monitor it to make sure.

Also: That does not look like 320ppm. It looks closer to 100ppm.

gurumics

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »
I do monitor the current with an ammeter.  It constantly fluctuates between 9.5mA and  10mA.  What concerns me is the speed that my solution changes to a color beyond what is expected. Makes me suspect the current but the readings don't proved it to be the case. Usually to keep the voltage over 5volts both the diode and anode coins are just skimming the surface of the water. Yet the process grins the water quickly.

I usually add the sodium carbonate first while the heater and the magnetic stirrer is on. Then I add the maltodextrin. After this is dissolved I either wait till finish to add the gelatin. When attempting ppms over 40 ppm, I add the gelatin after the multi sometimes I wait till finished to gel cap.  Usually I don't see any marked differences in the solution after gel capping.

With my constant current power supply,  I don't believe I need to use the LM317 stabilizer.   Am i right in this logic?

Any further ideas?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:19:42 AM by gurumics »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 05:38:04 PM »
With the limited info you provided:

When attempting ppms over 40 ppm, I add the gelatin after the multi
Absolutely wrong.  The gelatin must be added and dissolved before the colloid reaches 20 ppm.

With my constant current power supply,  I don't believe I need to use the LM317 stabilizer.
That would depend on how good your power supply is.

Usually to keep the voltage over 5volts both the diode and anode coins are just skimming the surface of the water.
No one ever said 5 volts was ok.  It does not make best quality product.  10 volts is the minimum you should shoot for.  Also, you should not be using 2 bullion coins.  The negative electrode should be a piece of thin copper wire.  This will help you attain 10 volts minimum.

Any further ideas?
Study the articles.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

gurumics

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 08:39:09 AM »
Kephra, thank you so much for your reply!! I greatly appreciate your input.

Rereading my post, I see I was not as clear and accurate with what I wanted to communicate.  In general, I will liquid sodium carbonate, then add and dissolve the maltodextrin and then add and dissolve the liquid gelatin at the beginning of the process as the solution is heating.  Then I insert the anode and diode coins.

I will change the second coin to a piece of thin copper wire.  I tried that once before and ended up with a dark brown cloudy outcome. So I went back to the two coins which at least produced products whose colors where in line with colloidal silver at the various ppm concentrations.

I will also try to build the LM317 stabilizer as found here in the articles.

I really want to perfect this process so I can have the utmost of confidence in the consumption of the colloidal silver I produce.

Thanks again Kephra for your response and also it great to have you here helping and assisting all as you do.  I pray for your health and continued longevity.