Author Topic: "Silver" flakes floating in my latest batch  (Read 503 times)

rixmixnfix

"Silver" flakes floating in my latest batch
« on: August 03, 2021, 08:26:10 AM »
 I have been making 5-6ppm Colloidal Silver successfully for many years thanks to the advice given in this forum. HP CC power supply @ 14 vdc and 5-6 ma for 1 hr in 1 L of DW with A&H washing powder and capping with Karo. Never get a cold or flu using this internally.
 I recently melted my anode with my blowtorch, so replaced with a new 10 ga. wire I purchased from a jeweler who assured me it was pure silver. After the batch was finished, there were small shiny flakes floating in it. Never saw this before.
 Any advice?
Thank you,
Rick

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: "Silver" flakes floating in my latest batch
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 09:06:49 PM »
The flakes are almost certainly pieces of silver oxide that can take the appearance of flakes. Possibly they may also be flakes of metallic silver. They are a sign of current that is too high or insufficient electrolyte.

I would suggest you reduce the current (amperage) and use hot distilled water. Taking things slower and starting with fresh chemicals might be a good stating point.

rixmixnfix

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:20:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
 Let me describe my procedure in more detail. I start with cold (room temp) distilled H2O in a 1 L beaker on a hot/stir plate. Insert the electrodes and stir bar, stir and turn on the PS and add electrolyte while monitoring the voltage/ current until I get 14vdc at 5 ma.. I set the voltage with electrode spacing and current with electrolyte amount. After 30 min. I turn on the heat and after 1 Hr. turn off the power and carefully remove the electrodes so as to not shake off any oxide. Then I add 4 drops of  50/50 Karo/DW, turn up the stir speed and heat to 190 F. Cool, bottle, inspect for clarity and store for use.
 I have been doing this for many years with success. The only change is the 'silver' electrode which I am not 100% sure is pure Ag. Also the electrolyte is not fresh. I changed the electrode to the old broken one twisted together and used the same electrolyte and procedure and made a successful batch. Maybe I should run a new batch with the 'new' electrode and see if I get the shiny flakes again. I will also make a fresh batch of electrolyte.
 If you have any suggestions as to my procedures and methods, I would be very grateful.
Thank you,
Rick

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 10:25:44 PM »
I set the voltage with electrode spacing and current with electrolyte amount.
Thats absolutely the wrong way to adjust current.  You have a variable amount of electrolyte, which controls the pH of the solution.   Then, when you used a new anode with a lot more surface area, you used less electrolyte which lowered the pH.  So if you do not follow the stated protocols on this forum, do not expect to get the same results.

Current should be controlled by an acutual current controller and not by electrolyte amount.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 12:40:32 AM »
You set the voltage by adjusting the depth the cathode is submerged into the water in the cell. You use the same amount of electrolyte all the time and don't vary it - enough of it being in solution is important for several reasons.

You set the current by using a current limiter.  Though some use a resistor and adjust the power supply voltage to get the current they want, the cell resistance over a run will drop due to accumulation of silver in the water which will change the current.

Without a current limiter, you really don't know what PPM you made.

I'd suggest you go back and reread the articles and follow the stated procedure and build yourself a current limiter.  The LM317 one is all of 3 parts - the LM317, a fixed resistor followed by a potentiometer. This and a power supply that puts out around 20V+ and you're good.

rixmixnfix

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 03:47:32 AM »
 Yes, of course you are correct. I will reread the procedure and start over. When I first started making Colloidal Silver, I carefully measured everything, including Ph, voltage, current, and volumes of all solutions.  Because the proper amount of electrolyte (Ph) gave me the current I wanted, I got lazy and assumed the current I wanted would indicate the proper amount of electrolyte. My mistake.
 Thank you all, and I hope you know how much good this forum does.
Rick

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 07:47:06 AM »
The electrolyte does 3 different things.

It lowers cell resistance so you can get more than a fraction of a milliamp through it.

It inhibits the plating out on the cathode of the silver you're pulling into solution.  The electrolysis cell is actually an electroplating cell but the electrolyte breaks it. In a real electroplating cell, the silver ions would be attracted to the cathode and would deposit on it, thereby plating it.  We obviously don't want this as we want the ionic silver to stay in solution long enough for the reducer to do its job and turn it into colloidal silver.  The electrolyte guarantees this happens as long as there's enough (a.k.a 20 drops of 1M sodium carbonate per liter of solution - 20 drops is 1ml).

It raises the PH to around 8.5.  Reducers only reduce in an alkaline environment.  The electrolyte guarantees the conditions are right for whatever reducer you've chosen to use to do its job.

Do keep us posted. We always welcome hearing of others successes.