Author Topic: Silvertron and hotplates  (Read 2482 times)

av00va

Silvertron and hotplates
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. It seems the Silvertron forum is closed, so I couldn't post there.

I recently bought a Silvertron and a hotplate and have a few questions:

In your manual, you state "Ionic silver must be made cold, because heat alone will often reduce the silver ions to silver metal. 
Heat must be used though when making high ppm colloidal silver.  You should have heat resistant
lab glassware and a hot plate (preferably with a magnetic stirrer built in) to make high ppm colloidal
silver."

I am going to be making high concentration colloidal silver. If Ionic silver must be made cold, should I not apply heat during production? I want to make collodial silver, so is setting the hotplate to high an acceptable practice? Can I add the electrolyte and the reducing agent during production with a hotplate and have it convert to collodial silver during the process?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Silvertron and hotplates
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
To make high ppm colloidal silver, the water should be heated, and the reducing agent must be added at the beginning of the process.  Then the ionic silver is being reduced as it is being made and will not go over its solubility limit.  For 40 ppm, you can use maltodexrin, or cinnamon extract as the reducing agent and stabilizer.  For really high ppm like 320, knox unflavored gelatin works best.

For plain 20 ppm ionic silver, you can make that cold with only the electrolyte in the water.  With SilverTron Elite Ver 2, you can also make 20 ppm ionic silver with nothing added, but it will take a long process time.

Where did you find a link to a closed forum?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

av00va

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
How high should I set the hot plate? I have a thermometer, is there an optimal temperature I should maintain? Should I turn off the heater after a given time? Is it possible to easily "overcook" the solution? I plan on making 20 ppm before my hotplate comes in, using an aquarium pump. I saw in your video you put the solution in the microwave. Would this cause a problem with metallic particules suspended in solution? If using an oven, what temperature and time should I maintain?

Thanks for all your help

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:18:21 PM »
I set my hotplate so that the solution temperature is just below boiling.  You should see bubbles on the bottom of the flask which don't make it to the surface.  When using gelatin I think you can overheat the gelatin which breaks down its stabilizing properties, but otherwise, overheating does no harm.  Of course full on boil will cause a loss of water by evaporation.

Microwaves does not hurt the colloidal silver.  When I make 20 ppm colloidal silver, I make it cold but do use my magnetic stirrer.  Afterwards, I add the corn syrup and microwave it to about 140 degrees and let it reduce and cool.  I don't heat mine hotter because I put it in Fiji water bottles which tend to melt at higher temperatures.  In glass, you can heat it as high as you want for the reduction.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.