Author Topic: Anode/Cathode question(SilverTron Elite 3)  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Oberon

• Participant
Anode/Cathode question(SilverTron Elite 3)
« on: October 07, 2020, 11:05:25 PM »
Hello

I’m using the SilverTron Elite 3 with the bullion bar(bought from here) as the anode, and the silver rod that came with the kit as the cathode. I’ve only made a few batches of the 20PPM ionic, but I’ve noticed that the silver rod hooked up to the black wire seems to have micro bubbles swirling off of it(I’m using a stirrer) while running, but I am seeing no reaction happening to the silver bullion bar(besides darkening throughout the process). I thought the silver reaction was supposed to be coming off of the bullion anode hooked up to the red wire? It almost looks like silver is coming from the cathode.

On a side note, I am using distilled water, using the settings for 1 quart mason jar, running at 15 MA, and pushed the silver rod cathode down until I was at 10 volts. I was also using a magnetic stirrer, and used 20 drops of the washing soda solution. The silver bullion bar turned dark, almost blackish by the end of the first run(I fire clean between runs), but the silver rod cathode only seemed to tarnish slightly by the end. I just wanted to know if I am doing something wrong, or if it is normal for the silver rod cathode to seem to be reacting and micro-bubbling instead of the bullion anode?

Thank you in advance for any responses.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:27:33 PM by Oberon »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Anode/Cathode question(SilverTron Elite 3)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 11:34:59 PM »
Thats totally normal.
Sodium is being reduced at the cathode which reacts immediately with water to produce hydrogen gas which bubbles off, and sodium hydroxide which replenishes the electrolyte.
The anode produces silver hydroxide, which is not a gas.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Oberon

• Participant
Re: Anode/Cathode question(SilverTron Elite 3)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:21:43 AM »
Thank you for the quick response Kephra!

I guess I was just being paranoid :)

Mike