Author Topic: Question on heating during or after..  (Read 504 times)

Offline tbrod

• Participant
Question on heating during or after..
« on: August 30, 2021, 02:15:03 PM »
I typically don't use heat while brewing...interested in 40ppm.  Is there a difference between brewing with without heat what I've been doing and then after adding the reducer microwaving to get to 61c? 

If I use heat while brewing, I don't need to microwave at the end? 

I never have used the magnetic stirrer after capping, I just stir it in and leave it with a wood stick. (which now I've read to stir w/mag stirrer until cooled..right?)

I've ordered another mag stirrer this time with heat so want to make sure I'm getting it correct. temp while brewing 140F?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 03:14:02 PM by tbrod »

Offline Cyberman

• Participant
Re: Question on heating during or after..
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 04:11:04 PM »
No answers yet since August?
Have you figured it out yourself? I am very curious about this also.

Offline tbrod

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »
Yes I know now.  Heat has to be used when brewing above 20ppm...unless it needs to be gel capped.  Also using 1 mil of Karo per 1 liter..

You can either heat while brewing (above 20ppm) or wait until brewing is done and heat in micro 3-4 min to get to 51c or 160 F.

I now us magnetic stirrer and no black gunk floats to the bottom.

Here is a discussion:  https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=5648.0
Also this is interesting: https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=5635.0

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:58:02 PM by tbrod »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »
tbrod:

I wish to explain something about the quote you posted.

The Vulnerability of Colloidal SilverA high Zeta potential and the associated mutual repelling action of the colloidal silver, ensures a long term relative stability. Unfortunately, colloidal silver is susceptible and vulnerable to any form of heat, either from  thermal  agitation  caused  by  long  wavelengths  of  light  (green,  yellow,  orange  and  red),  infrared  and  microwaves,  as  well  as  from  the  heat  of  a  fire.  The  thermal  agitation  simply  disrupts  the  colloidal  clusters by vibrational forces, bringing them into contact and causing aggregation into ever larger clusters. At some point, the cluster reaches a critical mass and due to the effect of gravity, comes out of suspension. To prevent this from happening, colloidal silver should always be kept refrigerated

This article is from Journal of Physical Chemistry & Biophysics

The production technique they used did not include any stabilizer (cap).  So yes, their silver is susceptible to heat and probably light.  However if you use the production techniques given on this forum, the Colloidal Silver is far more stable, since its at least capped and stabilized with Karo (glucose and maltose), or one of the better agents.

Its very important when reading these journal articles that you are comparing apples to apples, and not apples to oranges.

Lucky for us that silver is hydrophobic, so almost anything else that we put into the water will collect around the silver particle displacing the water molecules, and thus capping it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline tbrod

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »
Thanks Kephra