Author Topic: Reducing Power Rate  (Read 2895 times)

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
Reducing Power Rate
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
Hi!

I found this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextrose_equivalent

...which shows the reducing power of different "sugar products"

Apparently, Glucose has the highest reducing power.

• Glucose / Dextrose is 100 (percent)
  • Dextrins varies between 1 and 13
  • Maltodextrins varies between 3 and 20
  • Glucose Syrups contain a minimum of 20% reducing sugars.
  • Starch is close to zero (no reducing power)
So apparently, there's nothing more effective as reducing agent among the different kind of "sugars" than Glucose / Dextrose. So maybe there's no idea to try to find anything better for the reduction part, but concentrate on the stabilizers / capping agents instead.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Reducing Power Rate
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »
And Fructose is like the mirror image of Dextrose (kinda). So it should have the same 100 % amount of reducing power as Dextrose (Glucose).

Which brings us all the way back to Karo which is about 50-50 Dextrose & Fructose.
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Witty saying goes here... Ok--> "42"
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:26:36 AM »
That reminds me..   Hey Kep, I noticed that Karo has SALT in it.  That isn't good.   I assume that it is such a minuscule amount that it doesn't matter?
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »
Right, the amount is so small that it is inconsequential.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Argentum

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Which brings us all the way back to Karo which is about 50-50 Dextrose & Fructose.

Karo light corn syrup is dextrose and maltose. At one time there was fructose added, but it was a long time ago and it was only done for a few years.

I now use Karo exclusively for the reducing agent when making colloidal silver.

Argentum

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:05:20 PM »
I'm preferring the maltodextrin mostly because of the colour of the colloidal silver that I get with it but also partly because it isn't sweet, making it last a lot longer around here.

Recently I have been reading more on the qualities of maltodextrin because of how stable the colloid seems with it, and was happy to see remarks on it's gelling and capping qualities.

It works wonderfully doing 20 PPM colloidal silver. I'm pretty sure someone did limit testing with it and mentioned that it isn't strong enough to make 320 PPM colloidal silver with it unless gelatin capping.

Does anyone know off the top of their head, how strong in PPM we can go with just maltodextrin and remain stable?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:07:24 PM »
Glucose syrup, isn't.

Glucose syrup is a syrup of maltodextrin (seriously).  I saw it in a big barrel at the home beer brewing place I bought a pound of maltodextrin and dextrose from so I had to do some research to figure out what it is.  Here too, no clue what the dextrose equivalent is (which defines the chain lengths and hence the reducing/stabilizing ability). Its probably "mixed bag" like most more 'consumer accessible' maltodextrin products are.  You can buy them as specific dextrose equivalencies but I bet thats by rail car or tanker only.  We can't usually in the US but a friend in Austria actually got some maltodextrin and was able to pick the dextrose equivalency of it.

The lower the dextrose equivalent, the longer the chains, the better the stabilizer but the worse the reducing agent because longer chains mean fewer reducing groups.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
As kephra stated, the salt is inconsequential.

They do not add salt!  As Kephra found out a while ago, due to the fact they use HCL in the corn syrup manufacturing process, once that process is complete, they have to add sodium hydroxide to neutralize the PH, the byproduct of which is a small amount of sodium chloride, a.k.a. salt.  Its a minuscule amount though and has no negative effect on the colloidal silver.

There's a little vanilla in there also and here too I'm suspecting its a tiny amount and of no consequence for making colloidal silver.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »
I don't know how well this will work but decided to try it anyway. Picked up Crown Lily White Corn Syrup. It has no colour at all. Ingredients say: Glucose, Glucose-Fructose, water, salt, Vanillin. Bottled in Memphis, TN.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."