Author Topic: Success factors - keep the intended water volume and the heat  (Read 8177 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Success factors - keep the intended water volume and the heat
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »
could you teach me in some way, Kephra, to gold plate quartz? I am a jeweler and would love to give it a shot! ;D
I have plated quartz with gold thousands of times, as well as chrome, silver and nickel.  But the way I did it was by evaporating the gold in a vacuum chamber allowing it to condense on the quartz.  Usually, I evaporated chromium onto the quartz first as it bonded better.  The gold started out as wire, cut to a specific length, and put into a tungsten filament.  High current through the filament evaporated the gold. 

That's the only way I know to do it except by sputtering, but I didn't personally use that method.  As you can guess, the equipment to do either of these methods is terribly expensive.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Success factors - keep the intended water volume and the heat
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
Yes I haven't come across a tungsten filament vacuum tube in my jewelry supply catalog!  ::)
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus