Author Topic: alternatives to maltodextrin?  (Read 1421 times)

e11

alternatives to maltodextrin?
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
I purchased a generator this week, and looking to make a batch when it arrives. I want to be able to produce a pure non gmo type if I can. From what I understand maltodextrin is genetically modified so I have looked at pectin powder and stevia powder. Have any of you used pectin or stevia powder before in your mixes or experimented with either of them in the past?

Sauliusban

Re: alternatives to maltodextrin?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
I purchased a generator this week, and looking to make a batch when it arrives. I want to be able to produce a pure non gmo type if I can. From what I understand maltodextrin is genetically modified so I have looked at pectin powder and stevia powder. Have any of you used pectin or stevia powder before in your mixes or experimented with either of them in the past?

I've heard you can you honey or aloe instead.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
Yes, but why would you want to do that?

The whole purpose of this site is to help people make a good product easily and simply. Maltodextrin is just a long-chain reducer which gives a very clear non-turbid result. When you can make a hundred batches perfectly, maybe then you might want to experiment.

Aloe is not a single chemical, pectin is not as easily digested. I would really suggest that you don't try to reinvent the wheel.

e11

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
I would be fine making a batch for my own consumption using maltodextrin, but I was more worried about legalities if I were to be offering these in small 100ml bottles. I thought that maybe a stevia or pectin powder wouldn't pose any barriers as they are natural sweeteners.

I am a rookie, still waiting for his generator and equipment, so will be happy to learn and use maltodextrin in the meantime, and possibly trial later

Sauliusban

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 12:15:52 PM »
Aloe is not a single chemical, pectin is not as easily digested. I would really suggest that you don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Golden words! Better follow proven technics and not try to "invent better".

Sauliusban

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »
I've heard you can you honey or aloe instead.
How do you know that the honey does not contain GMO pollen?
Maltodextrin is a pure food product.  Honey is not pure.  Yes honey has reducing sugars in it, but it does not make a good product.

My relatives doing Beekeeping. And bees collecting everything from the forest and wild flowers around it. So it's 100% my honey is no gmo.