Author Topic: Maltodextrin dilution  (Read 594 times)

Offline Hunter232

• Participant
Maltodextrin dilution
« on: February 21, 2022, 03:37:24 PM »
Hello, I need some help with maltodextrin. I want to know if there is safe ratio for maltodextrin with water mix that works well for 20 ppm to 60 ppm silver solution. Kind of solution similar to karo dilution or sodium carbonate 1 mol solution. Maybe not very accurate but at least close enough.

It is mentioned in this post in the link below about maltodextrin being strong when using as premixed ingredient with water.
https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=4280.0

Another post in the link below has formula for making 0.1 Molar solution of Maltodextrin but no clarity on number of drops with respect to different concentration of colloidal silver solution.
https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=4220.0

I know it can be weighed and put right into the solution dry going by the formula posted on the forum. But I want to be able to add it up in diluted form where it will be enough for complete reduction.

Isn’t it possible to come up with same amount which is provided by formula but in diluted form? There has to be one but it doesn’t have to be accurate but more than enough.

Any thoughts and comments are most welcome.
Either you run your life or the life runs you.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Maltodextrin dilution
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:11:40 PM »
There is no need to make a malto dilution in water.  The reason we do that with Karo is because its VERY difficult to accurately measure out "goo". 50/50 Karo/vodka is nearly water thin and an eyedropper will very accurately meter it out.

The vodka is used as the alcohol in it prevents the stuff from evolving life which any sugar in water will do by itself over time.  Vodka (80 proof) is 40% alcohol, the rest being water so a 50:50 dilution would contain 20% alcohol (40proof).

Some people make a solution of glucose but the reasoning for this is that you need so little of it, it can become problematic to weigh it out (example: 1l, 20PPM needs 16.17milligrams of the stuff - thats 0.01617 grams and this requires a VERY expensive lab grade balance to accomplish). The opposite is true for malto - you need a LOT.

Malto? Just weigh it out, dump it into the water and stir. It will dissolve VERY quickly.

For a list of useful formulas for reducing agents, gelatine,... look here (second post in the linked topic by cfnisbet):

https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=47.0

For 20PPM, 1 liter, you need a minimum of nearly 0.3 grams of malto. For 60PPM, 0.9 grams.

I always add 10-20% more for good measure. A bit more reducer will speed up the reduction process simply because of the proximity effect - more reducer means a greater concentration of reducer molecules around each produced, dissolved silver oxide molecule (hence a closer proximity) and the quicker one malto molecule can associate with one silver oxide molecule, the faster that molecule of silver oxide will be reduced.

Also, since malto works as a very good stabilizer (Karo is only good to about 20PPM unless you're gel-capping where the gelatine becomes a strong stabilizer), having more of it in solution helps stabilize the silver particles.

Silver is hydrophobic (it HATES water). It will be surrounded by the malto molecules which coat the silver particles, protecting each from sticking to other silver particles (agglomeration), hence keeping the silver particles as small as you made them initially, for the whole life of the Colloidal Silver suspension (a.k.a stabilizer).

An easier way would be to just figure out about what volume measure 300mg of malto is in powdered form  (you can use more but not really any less - more won't hurt) and use one measure for 1 liter of 20PPM and 3 measures for 60PPM,... or just weigh it (wink).

In the grand scheme of things, weighing it takes maybe 1 minute tops and you only have to do that one time for each run where 1 run will take far longer than this.

Your choice.

Kaio

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 03:10:09 PM »
Can maltodextrin for your used as a reducer be any of these supplement store purchases?

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 08:13:12 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "supplement store purchases", sorry, but if you're saying you can buy maltodextrin in a supplement store, I'd dare say they will rape you in price for it.

Carbogain (though its not cheap) is maltodextrin which people do use to good effect.

I went to a local beer/wine making supply shop (most large towns have one) and bought a pound of maltodextrin maybe 4 or 5 years ago for about $3 (LIFETIME supply). This is probably your cheapest alternative.  A pound is 454 grams.

Volume wise, that about 90% fills one of those quart, round plastic chinese take-out polyethylene soup containers with the tight fitting snap on lid (actually what they put it in and gave it to me in).

Kaio

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 02:29:02 AM »
Where I live has Athletica Nutrition maltodextrin. Can you please tell me if it can be good?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 03:22:33 AM »
Probably not because it also contains citric acid.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline AVPX1

• Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 04:36:35 AM »
For a list of useful formulas for reducing agents, gelatine,... look here (second post in the linked topic by cfnisbet):

https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?topic=47.0

Quick question... is the list of useful formulas for reducing agents specific to Colloidal Silver? Or can it be used for Colloidal Gold as well?
FYI, I'm only curious because when applying the formula for Maltodextrin from the quoted list, it works out to be the same amount as Kephra's colloidal gold Quick Start Guide (Chem Reduction) for making 40ppm.
As a note, 40ppm to 50ppm Colloidal Gold ratios are the only concentrations I've seen mentioned on this site and want to make perfectly clear that I have no intention of making anything other than that. Added for edification :).

Kaio

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 06:46:35 AM »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 09:27:08 PM »
If you are not able to easily source a product containing a useful amount of maltodextrin, I would suggest you buy pure maltodextrin from Amazon (it's a white powder).