Author Topic: Voltage  (Read 1390 times)

alexp5

Voltage
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »
Is still best to use 30 V DC stabilized power supply with limited current ? Or any of those experiments up there show better you use other voltage ? Workd fine for me, but just if there is better way ..........

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Voltage
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:51:09 AM »
There is no change. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Voltage
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
The requirement is a fixed, constant current, maintaining 10+V across the cell.  However you choose to achieve this goal is up to you and there are a whole bunch of ways to do it, all acceptable.

Since the cell voltage remains relatively fixed over the course of the run (usually doesn't fluctuate much from what you choose to set it to), more input voltage to the limiter than you need to maintain a good "safe area" so the limiter cannot ever crap out due to too low a voltage across it is just wasted as heat in the limiter.

Just like in real life, given your operating conditions, things will be different.  Either you just go for 30V (or close) and call it even or you do a little measuring to figure out given your conditions what you can get away with and then add 3-5V to that to be safe.