Author Topic: Pure Silver buying  (Read 2542 times)

alexmeharie@gmail.com

Pure Silver buying
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
Hello, I am planning to buy silver but I am not make sure which dealers are reliable because I want to make sure that I am buying pure 999 fine silver please guide me. I am living in USA. Thanks.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Pure Silver buying
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
Buy a Silver bullion bar in the biggest size you can afford. Because it is marked at the factory with a certified stamp, it can be guaranteed to be a known purity and weight.

Offline Argentum

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:57:55 PM »
Hello, I am planning to buy silver but I am not make sure which dealers are reliable because I want to make sure that I am buying pure 999 fine silver please guide me. I am living in USA. Thanks.

There are a few tests that can be made. If a magnet sticks it isn't silver. A magnet should slide s.l.o.w.l.y down a bar with it held at a 45* angle.

There is also ultra-sonic thickness measuring. But a simpler more time consuming test is the weight and volume ratio. Easy to measure the weight, for volume use a graduated cylinder and water.

(https://www.silvertronstore.com/zencart/?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4)

Argentum

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
www.apmex.com

One of the oldest bourses in the US and NOT in NYC (I don't trust ANYONE in NYC for good reason). This one is in the midwest, good prices, shipping not too bad and they ship quickly if you pay by paypal or credit card or bank wire transfers for larger orders (not for 1-2 1oz bullion bars as it'll cost you $20-30 for the wire transfer at the bank). If you pay with an echeck, they hold it for 7 days to make sure its cleared their bank before shipping which is understandable.

They are VERY reputable. They also sell on ebay IIRC.  If the buy it now says apmex, its them.

If apmex is selling it, believe the assay they claim (usually .999 for silver bullion bars). The only .9999 silver item I know of is the Canadian maple leaf silver coin. Its the only 1oz bullion coin minted in 4 9's purity silver on Earth.  3 9's is plenty pure enough for making Colloidal Silver and you'd be hardpressed to find a 1oz bullion bar in anything other than 3 9's purity anyway.

But for making Colloidal Silver, your best bet is the silvertron store as Kephra has already drilled a hole and mounted a silver wire in the bar so you can suspend it properly in the cell.  How are you going to do that yourself without also buying silver wire?  No other wire can come near the water on the anode side as that metal will be drawn into solution also.  It has to be silver.  The cathode is a different story.

alexmeharie@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:35:09 PM »
Thanks Gene, I was thinking to order in APMEX but I was not sure now, I confirmed from you. I am planning to do everything from scratch for colloidal silver that is why I am concerned about the purity of silver. But my only concern is there is some complaints on YouTube about this company any way I am planning to order  :)

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 01:45:25 AM »
I've bought from them several times over the years and have never had a complaint.  They do what they say, ship within 3 days of the point the funds clear and usually ship 2 day.  They waffle between Fedex and UPS for larger PM orders just to mix it up (signature required, obviously) and for smaller stuff (bought a handful of bullion bars over the summer) either just "drop and run" UPS or Fedex or sometimes, priority mail if the package value is low (probably under $100).

I can't complain. But there's always someone who will.  Thats a given.

And then its not a matter whether your order was screwed up or not because it happens on occasion.  What matters is how willing they are to fix the problem and how quickly they do.

But again, I'm going to emphasize that you also need silver bullion wire to hang the bullion bar on.  You cannot use any other metal nor can you just use an alligator clip to hold the bar and think by keeping it out of the water you're OK. Your not.  Even condensation "could" pose a leaching risk here and alligator clips are not plated with anything I'd care to get inside my body as an ion.  You need to drill a hole through the bar and string a silver bullion wire through and either do as Kephra does (which requires some skill) or "twist tie" it tightly with the longer end used to hang the thing.

I would also caution you to choose a very secure wire holder for your lid.  As has been pointed out, if the bullion bar "falls off" while in the cell, it will instantly win the confrontation between itself and the glass container and then the "dam bursts" and your significant other reaches for the meat cleaver for flooding her kitchen (wink).

Seriously though, that is a mess I would NOT want to have to clean up!

As has been pointed out, a single 1oz bullion bar is enough silver to make 1000 liters of 20PPM.  In English measure, 1ozt silver will make about 432 gallons of 20PPM however thats not practical because you can't use it up.  I figure around 300-350 gallons you'd be getting to the "not usable anymore" stage at which point you sell it for silver scrap and buy another 1ozt bullion bar.  You most likely would not be able to use up even one single 1ozt bullion bar in your lifetime though.

alexmeharie@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »
Thank you Gene for your brief and to the point advice I appreciate. I am planning to make a drill on the silver bar and I'm planning to use copper wire 20 gauge because copper is not toxic. The other concern is I bought TDS to measure the PPM but I think after I read about how this damn TDS work I concluded that it is impossible to know the PPM of colloidal silver using TDS. May be color guessing wow that is not professional approach but I am curious if you have an idea because I am very cautious guy who is detail oriented so I don't make any mistake. My DC output is 30 V and 8 Amp which is 240 Watt. As I have read the lab work to know the PPM is too much expensive so I will guess by seeing the color but not comfortable.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 03:28:16 AM »
You should read the articles in the Articles section.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »
am planning to make a drill on the silver bar and I'm planning to use copper wire 20 gauge because copper is not toxic.
Copper IS toxic.  You can get copper toxicity just by cooking in a copper pan.  If the copper gets wet, the cell will prefentially make copper oxide instead of silver oxide because it takes less voltage to oxidize copper than it does for silver.  I think it would be just plain foolish to use a copper lead wire to save a few dollars.

I also find it strange that you are so worried about the purity of a silver bullion bar and at the same time deliberately contaminate your colloidal silver with copper.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:43:03 PM by kephra »
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
am planning to make a drill on the silver bar and I'm planning to use copper wire 20 gauge because copper is not toxic.
Copper IS toxic.
I can certainly confirm that. I once had a holiday in a house in a very soft rainwater area, the mains water left a big blue stain under every tap in the house. I was really sick when I drank the tap water. The acidic mains water was dissolving the copper out from the copper water piping.

alexmeharie@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
First, I was saying copper only for fixing the silver bar to the electric wire that is no water and copper connection at all.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
Yes there will be,  The copper is bound to get wet, especially if you do hot processing.