Author Topic: Colloidal silver and hydrogen peroxide  (Read 960 times)

Toenail

Colloidal silver and hydrogen peroxide
« on: September 13, 2020, 02:13:49 AM »
Today I made a 2 liter batch of colloidal silver and when I poured into my storage containers I had about 1 pint that didn't fit into the prepared jars.  I ended up pouring it into a jar that I had rinsed with hydrogen peroxide.  Since I was not going to keep it I just poured it into that jar.  It was a 10ppm silver and was gelatin capped and had a nice color.  About an hour later when I was cleaning up I noticed the Colloidal Silver I poured into the spare bottle was clear.  No sign of the original color when I poured it in.  The other Colloidal Silver from the batch looked great. 

I don't think there was much hydrogen peroxide in the other container but it had not been rinsed since it had hydrogen peroxide in it.  I usually rinse my used continers in hydrogen peroxide and follow with distilled water rinse.  Could this cause a problem?  What happened to the color? What did I have at that point?

Thanks again for all the help I have received from this site.
Lee

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Colloidal silver and hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 12:04:29 PM »
Hydrogen Peroxide destroys Colloidal Silver. Don't use it anywhere near Colloidal Silver.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
Well, hydrogen peroxide does have its use.  You do build up a little silver deposit on the inside of your container over time and that works like a third electrode and screws things up.

To fix this, wash the jar out with soap and water and rinse a couple times (tap water is fine). Then dump in maybe an ounce of hydrogen peroxide (just so its said, by itself - no added water), cap, shake for a couple minutes and dump out.  It will remove ALL the silver deposits.

Now, rinse with tap water again 2-3 times to make sure you get all the hydrogen peroxide out, then rinse twice with a little distilled (add an ounce or two, cap and shake and dump) to get all the tap water out.  You'll be fine.

I do this once every maybe 10 batches as a matter of course.

As far as getting hydrogen peroxide (ANY amount) in contact with colloidal silver, yeah, what cfnisbet said (wink).  Even at 3% its a powerful oxidizer you don't want near Colloidal Silver.

indocomp

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
How if the H2O2 mix with silver ion / ionic silver without reducing agent or capping agent?
because a lot of company said they use 3% hydrogen peroxide at 1.5% of 1 liter DW, AGNP and ethanol as disinfectant
Maybe they are using chemically produce AGNP?
Thanks

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide destroys silver nanoparticles, converts it back to ionic silver.  Use it to clean your glassware.  Peroxide also sank a Russian submarine,  but thats another story.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

indocomp

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 02:49:56 AM »
What happen if unreduced ionic silver ( without reducing agent or capping agent produce at very low amperage ) mix with hydrogen peroxyde, will it cancel out  its ability as disinfectant or sterilizer ?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 08:11:24 AM »
No, it will remain ionic and effective as such, but only for cleaning your kitchen worktops etc.

We only use it for cleaning silver residue from glassware.

indocomp

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »
Yup, im planning to use it in disinfectant chamber / gate , i think it should be safe enough  since it does not use internally
Thank you guys

indocomp

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 12:31:05 PM »
If a colloidal siver mix with hydrogen peroxide and turn back into ionic silver, does it still carry posiive charge? AG+
does it still effective ?
thanks

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 01:47:25 PM »
If a colloidal siver mix with hydrogen peroxide and turn back into ionic silver, does it still carry posiive charge? AG+
does it still effective ?
thanks
You can't use it for anything due to the contamination of the Ionic Silver with peroxide, so the charge on the ions is not really relevant.