Author Topic: Gold Chloride vs Platinum Chloride  (Read 1897 times)

All2

Gold Chloride vs Platinum Chloride
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:46:30 AM »
Dear All;

Pretty new here and my batches of colloidal gold made from gold chloride are still unstable, after a week at best they turn purple and a precipitate starts to form, kindly direct me to the method best suited with the most stable result.

I have also tried the Turkevich citric acid reduction method on Platinum Chloride, tastes horrible = does not work, any ideas how to process PtCl3 into colloidal Pt?

I got all my chlorides ( AuCl4, PtCl3, CuCl2) from the same peroxide method, 35% HCL + 30% H2O2 extremely slow drip + heat + lots of time.

From looking at the pure metal one might think that platinum would give a paler colour than gold, not so - Pt when oxidised is more colour intense and beautiful than Au - more of a crystal orange, great character, would love to try this as colloid but no know how :-)

kind regards, Alexander

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Gold Chloride vs Platinum Chloride
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:12:39 AM »
I have also tried the Turkevich citric acid reduction method on Platinum Chloride
The Turkevich method does not use citric acid.  Who told you that?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

All2

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »
My poor memory I guess  :-X and me not having any trisodium citrate in the shelf... any idea how to process the PtCl3?

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
What is colloid platinum good for?

And I assume that reducing PtCl4 to Pt can be done in a similar way as with gold, but since each Pt+ ion is connected to 4 Cl- and not 3 (as for gold chloride), and the molar mass for Pt is much higher (336.89) than for gold it requires a different amount of reducing agent.

10 mg Pt+ in a PtCl4 solution requires 10 mg / 336.89 molar mass for Pt x 3200 higher molar mass for maltodextrin x 4 Cl- = 380 mg Maltodextrin.

Or if dextrose/glucose is used: 10 / 336.89 x 180.16 x 4 = 21.4 mg dextrose/glucose for every 10 mg Pt to be reduced.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:11:12 AM by PeterXXL »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
What is colloid platinum good for?
Platinum nanoparticles destroys the superoxide anion.  Since the bodies immune system (phagocytes) produces the superoxide anion to destroy invading pathogens, it would seem to me to be harmful to ingest as it works against the immune system.  At present, there is no research showing that platinum nanoparticles are useful in the body, and only evidence that it is toxic.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

All2

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 02:33:06 AM »
Thank you both for the advice, what do you think about colloidal copper?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:27:56 AM »
Colloidal copper is a good way to poison yourself.  Its also not possible to easily make, like silver or gold.