Author Topic: Getting started, magenta?  (Read 1129 times)

10yrs4500

Getting started, magenta?
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »
So i just lately gotten started with making nanogold solutions, since i dont live in the US i cant get karo syrup, i did however try to use honey instead of karo syrup, 11g honey in 60mL demineralized water. I cant find anything on whats actually in "karo syrup", only that they dont use high fructose corn syrup.
I added a couple drops of 10.6% Na2CO3 solution with 3 drops of karo replacement. It didnt do much, i mixed that with 10mL 0.001M HAuCl4 solution and 30mL 1ppm H2O and let it heat up well. First when i added a pinch of sodium citrate that i bought things started getting interesting. It was probably around 80*C at this point, so i let it cool down and gelled it up with a bit of gelatine solution, but now after being in fridge for half a day it appears magenta? Could the sodium citrate be in too high concentration causing it to digress a bit? Im not entirely sure if i have managed to make bright red colloidal solutions yet or if they are at best dark red.
My experimental batches were 10mL 0.001M HAuCl4 solution (1.6mg HAuCl4; 0.9mg Au) which went into a total of 40mL solution that being 22.5ppm. Ive seen other members producing solutions that seems much brighter red, but when i try to continously heat it it just ends up turning purple or precipitating out, it can stay on heating for quite a while in this deep red phase.
I made a 2.5% sodium citrate solution and 13 drops weighting 490mg seemed to be enough, that would be 12.25mg of Sodium Citrate (unsure if this is mono di or trisodium citrate..)

So what im really asking is.. Should it be possible to increase in particle size (or well, coalesce) when gelled and refridgerated, and what may i do to lower particle size past dark red? If it would be possible to turn the now magenta solution into pure red i would be very interested in that.
Oh- i also have 1kg of xanthan gum, could that work for stabilizing gold nanoparticles?

10yrs4500

Re: Getting started, magenta?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
Alright. i found a way to do this very easily. i was gonna try microwave but i couldnt convince my mom that microwave wouldnt blow if you were to use it for boiling a cup of water inside of it. oven seems to work well, i threw it in oven at 100*C for 3.5 hours, i really didnt check on it, found beautiful deep red solution at the end of the day. my ratios were

16.6mg elemental gold as gold chloride in solution
400mL dH2O
0.8mL solution of maltodextrin (unknown concentration, 100mg in 6mL?)
1.6mL Na2CO3 solution, 10.6%, 1M

now i can see pouring it together with just a bit of tap water causes the red colloidal to coalesce into purple colloidal, the final concentration would be 41.5ppm (16.6 * 2.5) as 16.6 milligrammes into 400mL water, 400 mathed with 1000
im happy to have discovered oven works well, seeing what microwaving different consumables does to the crystal structure

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »
Honey is a compound of many chemicals and minerals besides the sugar. I wouldn't use honey. It is essential that you pick a product that's as chemically pure as possible.

You used too little Maltodextrin. For 17mg gold, you need at least ~450mg Maltodextrin. Your reduction was incomplete. I wouldn't drink it. Add more Malto and see if it darkens.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 11:15:27 PM »
Alright. i found a way to do this very easily. i was gonna try microwave but i couldnt convince my mom that microwave wouldnt blow if you were to use it for boiling a cup of water inside of it. oven seems to work well, i threw it in oven at 100*C for 3.5 hours, i really didnt check on it, found beautiful deep red solution at the end of the day. my ratios were

16.6mg elemental gold as gold chloride in solution
400mL dH2O
0.8mL solution of maltodextrin (unknown concentration, 100mg in 6mL?)
1.6mL Na2CO3 solution, 10.6%, 1M

now i can see pouring it together with just a bit of tap water causes the red colloidal to coalesce into purple colloidal, the final concentration would be 41.5ppm (16.6 * 2.5) as 16.6 milligrammes into 400mL water, 400 mathed with 1000
im happy to have discovered oven works well, seeing what microwaving different consumables does to the crystal structure
seeing what microwaving different consumables does to the crystal structure
It doesn't do anything except heat the water.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.