Author Topic: added 100ppm malto to Isopropanol. Went dark then got clear.  (Read 418 times)

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
What happened? It started to go a bit darker but as I swishes it around it got clearer and clearer. It's almost fully clear now. What happened? Has it gone back to being ionic silver oxide or has something else happened?

I was investigating the possibility of adding 100ppm to 99.9% isopropanol to create a 70% isopropanol and 3ppm colloidal silver combo.

Any thoughts on what happened and what my result is now?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: added 100ppm malto to Isopropanol. Went dark then got clear.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
Not to ingest, I hope?

You need water for the Colloidal Silver to work. If this is for surface cleaning, I would use one or the other, not both.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
Re: added 100ppm malto to Isopropanol. Went dark then got clear.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »
Yes not for drinking, isopropanol is not safe to drink. My theory was it would end up with 70% isopropanol and 30% distilled water and silver nano particles (100ppm malto based). But I am trying to figure out what happened, why it went darker and then went totally clear.

My only totally non-science-background guess is maybe the acidity of the IPA caused the silver to begin agglomeration and then maybe combined with the oxygen from the IPA to form silver oxide which dissolved and then left some other chemical remainder based on missing oxygen. But I have entirely no idea. I'd really like to know what likely happened.