Author Topic: First batch Colloidal gold purple/brown turbid  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Burt

• Participant
First batch Colloidal gold purple/brown turbid
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:30:30 PM »
Good day,

Firstly, thank you all who contribute your knowledge and expertise, it's good to learn of alternative therapies, while we are still allowed to use them.

I've been experimenting with the silver and gold colloid recipes.  Unfortunately for me I have turbidity issues with both, unrelated I assume at this time.

I'm hoping that if I can tackle the gold colloid first and if it improves my cognitive function significantly, I will be able to solve the silver colloid turbidity issue on my own :-)  Therefore, let's jump into my experiments with AuNP's:

Initially I'm trying to follow the "low voltage electrolysis colloidal gold method - salt and carbo-gain" (double batch first).

500 ml DW (appears to be good quality, I have an analysis report from the distillery, their process as described is reverse osmosis, distillation, microfiltration, ozonation)
240 mg sodium chloride (lab grade)
500 mg maltodextrin D-glucose polysaccharide 100% (food grade)

Lab glass cleaned with a homemade solution of bleach, sodium hydroxide, sodium bicarbonate, commercial dish detergent and water followed by rinse with tap water then rinse by distilled water and drip dried.

My procedure:

Using a 600 ml beaker fill with DW, drop in 50 mm stir bar, commence stirring at 200 RPM and heating.  Weigh out sodium chloride and add to beaker followed by maltodextrin.  Bring to low boil.  Install gold anode (20g gold bar 9999 fine, 18mm wide at a depth of ~11mm) and silver cathode 14 ga wire 9999 fine to a depth of ~37 mm, spaced 50 mm apart.  DC current limit preset to 300 ma and maintained.

Energize the cell
0 min: 46.9 volts, 300 ma
11 min: 52 volts, initial red hue observed, ambient lighting.
15 min: 54 volts, red deepening
39 min: 50 volts, red/purple when back or side lighting, turbidity is being observed and front lighting has a brown hue, continually replacing water losses.
51 min: de-energize cell, back & side lighting is red/purple and turbid, front lighting is brown.  If I used a mini Secchi Disk, it might be visible between 25 and 50 mm, very rough guess.

At nearly 24 hours, no significantly observed turbidity or color change, small gold particles are floating on the surface.

After reading - Topic: "First Batch Turned Purple" by handyguy, I repeated the experiment with a 250 ml batch size and double the amount of maltodextrin, 250 ma current limit setting, 25 mm stir bar at 120 RPM (to lower liquid turbulence) with the following results:

Energize cell:
0 min: 39 volts, 250 ma, replacing water losses.
6 min: 37 volts, initial red hue observed.
8 min: Brown turbidity observed under ambient lighting.
15 min: De-energized cell, not getting more red, instead more brown and turbid.

As of this writing, I was able to dig up some Hydrion papers 4.5 to 7.5 and tested both samples at between 4.5 & 5.0 pH.  DW lab analysis shows pH tested at 5.8.  Maybe pH is the path, is it the water? :-)  I think I will go down and boil some for a while.

In regards to turbidity pass/fail I see postings with pictures of back lit clear beautiful product, is it assumed that there is no observable turbidity or plasmon resonance when front or side lighted with a white led flashlight?  Seems to be subjective and not quantified, is an observable amount too much?

Please advise and thank you.

Burt

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: First batch Colloidal gold purple/brown turbid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:31 PM »
The pH does not sound right.  The sodium in the sodium chloride transforms into sodium hydroxide as the chlorine is used up and the sodium reduces to sodium metal at the cathode, which then reacts with water to make sodium hydroxide.
This should raise the pH of the water.

Also the rule of thumb for gold is to minimize the anode and maximize the cathode (reverse of silver).

Water should almost be boiling.... bubbling on bottom of flask, but bubbles not breaking the surface.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

HeatherG

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:30:14 AM »
Sounds like a great set-up, I am still learning myself but following to hear replies to your detailed questions.

Offline Burt

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
Sorry for late update, life got in the way.  I solved my issue sometime ago and wanted to update for those with similar issues.

Kephra was right, pH too low.  I adjusted it up with the 1M Sodium Carbonate solution used for Colloidal Silver.  I brought it up >7.0 pH at a rate of 1ml/l.  With that adjustment, I have had consistent results without fail.

In regard to the Anode/Cathode relationship, I settled on a 1:3.3 ratio, respectively.

I achive and maintain my temperature a few degrees below 100C during the whole process.  Just as Kephra pointed out, observing bubbles.

I hope this is helpful to someone struggling with similar issues.

Offline Burt

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 12:02:18 AM »
I will attempt to attach an image of my colloidal gold.  Sorry, couldn't figure that one out!