Author Topic: hot plate stirring with a SilverTron Mini  (Read 2277 times)

spinningwheel

hot plate stirring with a SilverTron Mini
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »
I want to make my first batch with the Mini. I have a propane stove that I have used in the past to make IS or colloidal silver (if that is what I truly made... lol)
Using the stove set to the lowest setting and the mason jar about an inch above that, it used to take about an hour or longer to bring it to a boil. I could see the stirring taking place from the heat.

Should I use this method as a stirrer for the Mini? Should I wait until it's hot to plug in the Mini?

This has to have been answered before, can someone please point me to the article I'm looking for?

I am starting my first batch now, and see it's already getting a little cloudy... swirling the jar causes the light on the Mini to go red then green. With a flashlight I can see shiny particles in the water. I must be doing something wrong.

As time is progressing now, I see that the heat I am experimenting with (started timer from cold) is sorta stirring, but as the water heats, the conductivity of the water increases (I guess) and the light goes red.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:51:07 PM by spinningwheel »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: hot plate stirring with a SilverTron Mini
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »
Best is to start with the water hot.
You must have quality distilled water even reverse osmosis filtered water is not good enough.
Wait till the end before thinking you did something wrong.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

spinningwheel

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Well it is all done now and appears mostly clear, except when I put the flashlight against the jar, then it looks a little foggy. The temp on the jar got up to 180F and when I put the reducer in, it turned yellow in a couple of minutes without microwaving it, so I didn't. It seems like it all went pretty well and I have my first batch of 20ppm colloidal silver.

Thank you for this sweet generator Kephra!

I did use Distilled Water, but maybe it wasn't that great? I got it from a big box like Walmart or something I think.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »
I did use Distilled Water, but maybe it wasn't that great? I got it from a big box like Walmart or something I think.
Its probably ok.
It should say "steam distilled" on the bottle.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:59:17 PM by kephra »
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

spinningwheel

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
Its probably ok.  It should say "steam distilled" on the bottle.

Thank you,
The brand is Great Value, and it did come from Walmart, and it says Purified by Steam Distillation... Just like you said. :) That was all pretty easy for starters I think.