Author Topic: Best Preservative to Inhibit Mold growth for long term storage?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Best Preservatinve to Inhibit Mold growth for long term storage?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
My RO colloidal silver did not look very good when I tried it before.  I think the results are going to depend on what is in the water.  For example, if you water contains mostly salt, it would work ok, but if mine contains mostly iron, it would not.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Best Preservatinve to Inhibit Mold growth for long term storage?
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 01:35:53 AM »

How long a filter cartridge will last depends on how bad the water is to start with.  I pre-filtered my well water (160-180 TDS) by reverse osmosis (16 TDS) then final filter it with the Zero Water. 

It is possible that the ion exchange resin is adding something to the water though.

Thanks for the replies.

That sounds like a good way to get your drinking water down to 000 TDS. One filter should last a LONG time doing it that way.

Yes I was concerned that the "ion exchange" resin beads might be adding something.  I guess that's implied with the word EXCHANGE. If it happened to be adding sodium I guess it would be fine for making IS, but like you say, then the meter would not read 000.

I wonder if the job of those beads is to turn whatever dissolved solids into precipitated solids that would hopefully be captured by the final filter?

Maybe I would not have to be concerned about the "ion EXCHANGE" since I am running DW through there in the first place?  (I hope)  Shouldn't be too many ions in DW. 
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

Offline PeterXXL

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Best Preservative to Inhibit Mold growth for long term storage?
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
When using "sugars" (glucose, maltodextrin, etc.) or any organic matter (like gelatin) as "reducing / stabilizing / capping agent" it must be understood that mold (as all fungus) use it as food, and will thrive on it.

The most efficient and safe way to kill fungus is to add little colloidal silver to is, whether it's colloidal gold you make, or if you make molar solutions of any such reducing / stabilizing / capping agent.

Adding colloidal silver is also a good choice for those of you who make home-made jam, juice, or whatever that is cooked and preserved, instead of using chemical preservatives. And also as an alternative to sulphur as a way to stop the fermentation process when making beer or wine.