Author Topic: Making High PPM Colloidal Gold with Stabilization  (Read 1925 times)

tseax

Making High PPM Colloidal Gold with Stabilization
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
The recipes for colloidal gold in the forum are for 40 ppm. I haven't found the statement describing this as the point beyond which AuNPs will agglomerate the way silver will >20 ppm. I assume it exists.

I've made a colloidal gold solution using "Electrolysis I" and ended up with a very deep red solution - too deep to even see the electrodes - too deep to see though with a bright background. Even the direct light of a flashlight had difficulty getting through it. Over 8-hours it tilted into purple. Questions:

1) How does one make a stable, concentrated (well over 40 ppm) solution (as is done with the 320 ppm colloidal silver recipes)?

2) How does one determine the ppm of such a solution - Faraday's laws of electrolysis? How is that translated in to something I can use here.

Not exactly a "necessary" procedure. I'm just curious.

tseax

Re: Making High PPM Colloidal Gold with Stabilization
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 02:00:30 AM »
Process 1:
   Battery removes 3 electrons from a gold atom...So you can see that the electrolyte (sodium chloride) is not self replenishing as in silver and that as the chloride diminishes, the hydroxide increases. which is the second process consuming current.
Process 2 detail from process 1:
  ...(cathode reaction)...(hydrogen gas bubbles off)...(anode reaction) (oxygen gas bubbles off)

Since there is no way for us to know how much current is actually going into each of the two separate processes, we cannot apply Faraday's law to the problem.  Further the ratio of current to the two processes constantly changes.
Uh huh. Chemistry...I can't imagine why I didn't make a career out of it.
On a side note, 40 ppm is the weight of the particles divided by the weight of the water.  Since gold is approximately twice as heavy as silver and the size of a gold atom is approximately the same, 40 ppm gold has approximately the same number and size of particles as 20 ppm silver.
Hmmm, simple-ish. I just need a stoichiometry review class.

Thanks very much for that WG! Sounds like a bottle of AuCl3H solution plus a few volume/weight calculations and I'm off to the races, one of these days. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to 3 L of electrolyzed (5-hours) colloidal gold and why it didn't happen to todays 1 L of electrolyzed colloidal gold (done in 1-hour and looking good 12 hours later).

I've acquired some 37% HCl and 29% H202. I might just apply them to 1.5 gms of one of my two gold electrodes (0.5" x 2" sheet) - see if I can make my own gold chloride since the getting it in this country requires ordering (some not pharmaceutical/food-grade quality) from China. Gold, however, i$ plentiful.