Author Topic: Verify your electrolyte amount  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Mer2112

• Participant
Verify your electrolyte amount
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
I made up a fresh, accurate batch of electrolyte.  (12.4 grams of A&H Washing Soda and enough distilled water to make 100 ml)

I had always used the 20 drops/liter as my ratio.  Just for grins I decided to weigh my 20 drops knowing that 1ml = 1 gram.  My 20 drops = .56 grams.  It took 35 drops to get to 1 gram or 1 ml.

I noticed that my last batch didn't reduce as easily and this inconsistency could be why.

This is something you only have to do once assuming you're using the same dropper every time, but it's worth doing just so you know where your method stands.

Other droppers may be right on or very close but why not check to make sure.  It might save a lot of headache if your batch doesn't work like it should.

The bottle I'm using has a very fine tip so I'm guessing that is why I had the results I did.

Here's the scale I use: http://www.silvertronstore.com/Electronic-Digital-Scale_p_28.html

Just a little tip, hope it helps,

Eric

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Verify your electrolyte amount
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
Thats a good idea to calibrate your dropper, or use a measuring syringe.
Alternately, you can count the number of drops needed to fill a teaspoon and divide by 5.
Luckily, even being off by a factor of 3 still puts the pH within a range of +/-0.5 so is not that critical.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Mer2112

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »
For a small quantity like that, that price is pretty cheap as it includes shipping.

3cc ones might be a little more useful.

The one thing I do want to point out as I don't see who makes these is that many brands of syringes don't have the gradations engraved into the plastic (where the channels are filled with the ink so it doesn't rub off).  So if these are not "engraved" (not actually - part of the mold that makes them but I don't know what else to call it), when you use one, you might consider putting a piece of some kind of transparent tape over the gradations so they don't rub off (if they're just surface printed, they WILL rub off and usually quickly - these things are designed for single use so the markings only have to survive for a few minutes).