Author Topic: A question of air quality  (Read 2337 times)

Handyguy

A question of air quality
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
As stated, I have experienced a myriad of results in my colloidal gold production. Consistency is just something I can't seem to achieve. Then it hit me....
My wife and I are heavy vapers....to the point where we have to clean the residue off the windows twice a week. So the question is; is it possible that the VG and PG vapours in the air are being absorbed by the DW I'm using and affecting the colloidal gold outcome?

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: A question of air quality
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:43:17 PM »

Then it hit me....My wife and I are heavy vapers....to the point where we have to clean the residue off the windows twice a week.

Wow, I had no idea vaping left such a residue..........it gives a whole new meaning to second hand smoke......uhh, I mean second hand vapers!

Art
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:30:34 AM by Art »

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:52:27 AM »
Well, the chemical used in vaping juice is the same as they use in theatrical fog machine juice (propylene glycol).  I think the flavoring and nicotine they add are a tiny amount by comparison.

Some "juice" can be 50% PG.

But how would the DW absorb the residue?  Its in a sealed container and usually when you make colloidal gold/Colloidal Silver you have a lid that holds the electrodes so the container is basically covered. I'm confused.

Handyguy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:07:33 AM »
Well, the chemical used in vaping juice is the same as they use in theatrical fog machine juice (propylene glycol).  I think the flavoring and nicotine they add are a tiny amount by comparison.

Some "juice" can be 50% PG.

But how would the DW absorb the residue?  Its in a sealed container and usually when you make colloidal gold/Colloidal Silver you have a lid that holds the electrodes so the container is basically covered. I'm confused.

I have adjustable electrode holders so the top of the beaker is open.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 03:25:53 AM »
Cut a disk out of a piece of thicker HDPE plastic bag or sheet of some kind and fit that over it somehow and see if things change for the better.

Another suggestion?  The plastic snap on lid from a coffee can or the lid from one of those clear plastic take-out containers or similar.

I'm sure you can think of something you can do to run an experiment to prove or disprove your hypothesis.

And yeah, I'm sure curious. I'm sure others are too.

Handyguy

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 12:12:58 AM »
Update:

To date, I have been using a hotplate where the element is mounted under a cast iron disk. Last night, I procured a hotplate with a bare, spiral element and gave it a try. The colloidal gold turned out perfectly. I'm wondering if the cast iron was releasing something into the air. I know I'm grabbing at straws here, but there has to be something that changes periodically. As I said...I keep using the same materials and amounts and the successes and failures keep alternating. Doesn't make sense.
On the upside, I just about have enough money for a hotplate stirrer. I have a feeling that once I obtain this, I will start seeing more consistency.

Handyguy

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
Nope, wrong again!

It seems that the PH level is the most important variable. I spent the morning messing around with this and discovered that as little as half a drop of electrolyte could make or break a batch; at least with the DW I'm using from Co-op. I have found this is not the best DW to use, so, last night I went out and bought a used countertop, stainless steel water distiller. I plan to run RO water through the zero water then distill. Hopefully this will start giving me more consistent results because the demand for colloidal gold in my inner circle is growing.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
Perhaps you should weigh your electrolyte for consistency. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Handyguy

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Perhaps you should weigh your electrolyte for consistency.

Do you mean weigh the powder prior to mixing? This I do. I weigh everything to the mg. What I find disturbing is, it seems most people are achieving relatively successful batches with little to no mention of the types of problems I have been encountering. Furthermore, the very first successful batch I made had no electrolyte added to it at all....then it just went downhill from there. I'm rather stunned by how narrow the tolerance margin is...or maybe that's just the nature of chemistry. As least now I can produce DW on demand and have consistent grade materials on hand. I honestly don't know what I was getting from the store.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 03:42:21 PM »
I have found the process to be pretty tolerant.  I have no idea why yours is not.  I wish I could be there when you make a batch so I could observe.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Handyguy

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:12:36 AM »
I have found the process to be pretty tolerant.  I have no idea why yours is not.  I wish I could be there when you make a batch so I could observe.

I have doubts about the DW I'm using. Sure the TDS meter is reading zero, but who knows what else might be there. As I said, I now have my own distiller and I'm optimistic about future batches.