Author Topic: Plastic bottles "Help please"  (Read 1572 times)

Ricplate

Plastic bottles "Help please"
« on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:04 PM »
It is safe to keep Coloidal Silver in PET plastic ambar bottles? or only glass? thank you

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Plastic bottles "Help please"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:42:01 PM »
If its colloidal silver, you can keep it in plastic bottles.  If its ionic, you should use only brown glass.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Ricplate

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:19:32 AM »
thank you very much! can you explain me just a little. I like to learn please

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 03:29:45 AM »
Metallic silver is not light sensitive and doesn't react with plastic.  Ionic silver is very light sensitive and temperature sensitive to some degree.  Thats about all there is to it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:00:30 AM »
It just needs to be a food grade plastic bottle.

PET, PETE (which is the same thing), PP (polypropylene - same plastic the inside of your fridge is lined with and the same plastic pharmacy prescription bottles are usually made from), HDPE are all good.  There might be a couple others I'm forgetting.

The jugs distilled water come in are usually HDPE.  You can store the colloidal silver in that if you like.

Or you can just go out and buy some glass mason jars and store it in this.  Where I don't mind plastic for short-term storage, I always use glass for long-term storage.  Maybe not necessary but...

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:52:04 PM »
I read somewhere that the plastic might create some static electrical type of charge thing which might degrade the colloidal silver or make it cling to the plastic and degrade the colloidal silver or at least it's strength? Is there any truth to that? I bought five 1L HDPE bottles and some childproof caps to store my best 100ppm silver I make these days now that I am getting amazing clarity from scrubbing the silver and beaker. But I worry about LONG term storage in HDPE bottles?

I am most likely to give out silver in the plastic bottles but I would hope they will be good for LONG term storage?

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
With gel-capped, you always get a thin coating on the inside of the container, whether its glass or plastic. Its nothing to worry about. The amount of silver contained within is minscule.

Also, gator aide or similar bottles which I believe are polypropylene work well for Colloidal Silver storage. I usually use one of these for my "currently being used up" quart and the rest I leave in glass until needed.

Just clean the container out after each use.

I put water in it, nuke it in the microwave until its hot but not so hot as to not be able to handle it, let it sit about 5-10 minutes for the gelatine to bloom again, dump the water out and wash with a little dishwashing liquid and a brush, then rinsing well, followed by a double rinse with distilled (like an ounce, cap, shake, dump out, repeat once). You're now good to go again.