Author Topic: Making colloidal silver in indirect lighting  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
Making colloidal silver in indirect lighting
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
Hi I am currently in a situation (off grid)  where a large tent is the best location for making colloidal silver... I have been successfully making 320ppm starting towards sunset because of what I have read here recommends to make it in subdued lighting...

my current setup : a magnetic stirring hotplate and cc cv dc power supply adding the reducer in the begining and running for 5.5 hours for me would best be done during daylight hours so I am wondering must one always do this in subdued lighting? How subdued? even if u are reducing at over 140° with some karro and  gel capping at the end? would there be a problem if some sun hit your silver in this process or is the warning more about when making ionic silver without heat?
Yeah so my basic question is: Can I make this during sunny hrs or do I have to be in a really dark place?
Thank u so much yall I've learned so much here!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:53:05 AM by Yoikyasi »

Offline gkar

• Participant
Re: Making colloidal silver in indirect lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »
A friend who works as a quality tester, at a pharmaceutical manufacturer said it is best to work under yellow lighting conditions, if dark conditions are not feasible.
Is this true? If so, are the low wattage eco (CFLs?) bulbs OK?
3 years ago: the wrong side of 55 -now, heading towards good health!

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
Start your process and then continue the brew in the dark/dusk.

Offline Yoikyasi

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »
Thank you for the reply cfnisbet!
I'm trying to innerstand why tho?
For what reason? Sunlight reduces silver and I would be reducing already...
Thank you!

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »
If you are going to reduce it anyway, it doesn't matter, but I always make mine in very low ambient light. I suppose it's a holdover from making Ionic Silver Oxide in my very early days, before I discovered this site.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
my understanding is that light is not the problem. the enemy is ultra violet light. so it you are using led lighting then you will have no problems because led light has no ultra violet unlike the sun light or incandescent or energy saving bulbs

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 07:19:22 AM »
One time I shone a LED flashlight through the solution as I was making Colloidal Silver and noted on my multimeter that the voltage changed quite noticeably. I don't know if that plays into it, but any light source will influence Colloidal Silver production.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »
my understanding is that light is not the problem. the enemy is ultra violet light. so it you are using led lighting then you will have no problems because led light has no ultra violet unlike the sun light or incandescent or energy saving bulbs
That's useful, I didn't know that.

I suppose it is just tradition to a certain extent, but I have fluorescent lighting in my study, so turning it off is more important.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 04:27:59 PM »
This is incorrect. Any sunlight, including visible and UV will reduce ionic silver oxide. If you want to have a controlled process (particle size!), you'll want to use a reducing agent and work in the dark. If you produce higher ppm, capped Colloidal Silver, with heat (!), I don't believe light would be a factor of any significance. 

Offline imcool

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »

I always make my 300ppm Colloidal Silver in a room where I curtain block windows daylight and with indoor lights off. It doesnt give me 100% darkness but works for me. After completion, I make sure that I store it in a dark place, like a closet or something.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »
correct. ultra violet light will have an effect during production . but properly made Colloidal Silver is immune to any sort of light(uv or otherwise) after production. store it wherever you can.
I have samples that do not appear to have suffered any ill effects after being stored on my window sill in direct sunlight for over 1.5 years. i am referring to 40ppm malto and gel capped Colloidal Silver that i use as a control experiment just for observation.