Author Topic: Cloudy electrolyte  (Read 3196 times)

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
Cloudy electrolyte
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:34:43 PM »
I am making up an electrolyte using the amounts shown in the formula, i.e. 1 level tablespoon of washing soda to 3.5 ounces of distilled water. However, the soda does not appear to be dissolving fully, even after several hours. Do I have to filter it, maybe, or should I expect it to be like this? My last attempt was made with warm water.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Cloudy electrolyte
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »
What brand is your washing soda?  If its Arm and Hammer, then filter it through a coffee filter.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline sneezewort

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
Kephra. I have now processed my own sodium carbonate from bicarb. Dissolves beautifully.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

atadincselim

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »
Kephra. I have now processed my own sodium carbonate from bicarb. Dissolves beautifully.

which sodium bicarbonate brand did u use ? And can u please write your bake process? I also tried to bake sodium bicarbonate at 210 C degree for about 1 hours and 15 minutes. It was wrapped to the aliminium foil at the baking.. But when i mix it with distilled water there was occur some white and big stones and they are not dissolve.. The reason is the sodium bicarbonate brand or the wrong baking process. Any idea?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »
Never process it in aluminum.  You should use glass or stainless steel, preferably glass.
Just spread it out in the glass baking dish, and bake it at 200C for 30 minutes.  Thats all thats required.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Mer2112

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
Mine took about a day or more for all the little bits to be completely dissolved.  It eventually dissolved.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
When I mix up electrolyte from homemade sodium carbonate from baking baking soda, it all goes into solution in a few minutes, not days.  Something seems wrong here unless you're seriously mis-measuring and making a much higher concentration than you're thinking.

Try to warm the water some.  That will increase solubility and aid in more rapid dissolution.  Lukewarm is plenty.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »

That seems to be the same problem I was having when I tried to use A&H washing soda.  Baked or straight out of the box.  I was unable to get it to dissolve completely.  And on top of that, it would still go milky in my dropper bottle after a few days.  This happened even at the .6 molar levels.  I cleaned & sterilized over and over.  Finally the only solution was to just to bake the baking soda in a glass container.  I have had no problems since then.  I just use the washing soda for other things.  I know have a 1 1/2 quart of ready to go baked baking soda.

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Art

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:55:53 AM »
I've never had that problem......the A&H washing soda just dissolves in dw with a little shaking.

Art

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 01:08:22 AM »
Bobby:  Did you use distilled water to dissolve your washing soda?

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 03:01:57 AM »
Kephra and Art,

I do use distilled water.  I even used 2 other boxes to try to get it worked out, but no go.  It still could have been some kind of contamination, on my part that I just happened to correct without realizing it.  I do remember starting to boil and oven dry the dropper bottles and all my glassware around that time.  But nothing ever helped the problem of it not dissolving.

Bobby
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:11:26 AM by Bobby »
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln