Author Topic: Removal of Gold Chloride stain on countertop feasible?  (Read 8901 times)

Bizill

Removal of Gold Chloride stain on countertop feasible?
« on: October 27, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
So I've already made two glorious batches of Colloidal Gold using my main man Kephra's recipe. (I've also made many batches of colloidal silver using his ST Elite)  I did read in one of his posts that the Gold Chloride will stain your skin purple.  I had that bit of info in the back of my mind as I began to pour out 1.25ml of Gold Chloride into a tiny graduated cylinder straight out of the Salt Lake glass bottle.  Those bottles are not meant to be poured from.  I had my lady pick up an oral syringe, but Walgreens gave her one that was too thick to fit into the bottle.  Wouldn't you know, she also got from them a few eyedroppers that were marked for ml but I completely spaced it.

Anyway, I did use a tiny glass funnel atop the graduated cylinder that was placed over a paper towel, but to no avail.  The darn thing dribbled and dripped down onto the paper towel, quickly soaking through it and onto the laminate top.  Now I'm left with a few purple stains. 

It took all my might to stop my lady from placing that graduated cylinder up my derriere, so to speak.  Sideways.  Now she's using this as an excuse to make me buy her granite countertops.  Uh, I don't make that kind of money, son.

Anyway, I have not yet searched government-controlled Google for an answer just yet.  I was thinking a sequesterer, as they can be used in pools water to pull the stains out of the plaster walls and suspend them back into the water.  Somehow vitamin C has crossed my mind, so my lady has some liquid vitamin C on order before I knew if it'd work or not.  Also, I think this would be good to discuss for others who may encounter this issue at some point. 

Thank you all. 

ETA:  I've tried all household cleaners.  I've tried mineral spirits.  My lady tried her nailpolish remover.  I have not yet tried my straight up acetone and doubt it'll work anyway.  I may have to resort to a little wet-sanding with fine grit sandpaper...but I'd rather not knock down the matte finish of the laminate.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Removal of Gold Chloride stain on countertop feasible?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
You might try making a paste from table salt and hydrogen peroxide.  No guarantees though.  The stains are caused by the gold chloride reducing to gold metal, and gold metal is inert, so very few substances will dissolve it.  If you can get pool peroxide, which is stronger than drug store peroxide you will have a better chance.  Of course aqua regia will dissolve it, but it will probably also dissolve your counter tops.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Bizill

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
I'll certainly try that.  It's not terribly awful a stain, but enough to certainly be an eye sore.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »
I just tried it, and it lightened a gold stain a little.  It might take repeated applications.  To dissolve gold, you need a strong oxidizer, and a source of chlorine.  Peroxide is an oxidizer, and salt provides the chlorine.  Some combination of chlorine bleach and peroxide might work better.

BTW, I'm glad to hear you are making lots of colloidal silver with the SilverTron Elite.  I assume that you had no trouble setting it up or using it.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Bizill

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59:45 PM »
I love the ST Elite.  Like I mentioned to you before, I had the Silverbungs in my cart and did some last minute research online and came across your SilverTron and quickly made contact with you and the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm at work and I'll see if I can try this tonight.  But for now, a few pics of my setup...

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
I couldn't have made better myself!

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
Wow, that is some beautiful looking colloidal silver !!
Looks like the perfect color & appears to have zero turbidity (cloudiness). What did you reduce it with?

Looks like you reduce with it Hot?  Did you also do the electrolysis with it hot?
So many VARIABLES & so little TIME.

Bizill

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »
Alot of that is due to the flash on my phone.  I'll attach a pic sans flash.

That particular batch was made uncapped, and heat reduced.  Heated in microwave to just beginning to boil.  Transferred over to hotplate with magnetic stirrer and kept just boiling.  No reducers, just heat, heavy stirring and time.  Oh, and of course, the drops of 1M sodium carbonate.  Silvertron elite set to 15ma and .999 silver bullion bar.  The voltage read somewhere around 12 volts, if I recall correctly.  The Silvertron sets the timing and what not.

Oh, forgot to mention I didn't boil in the mason jar.  I boiled and did electrolysis in the Pyrex beaker then transferred it to the mason jar when the entire process was complete.   I then cleaned things and proceeded to make the colloidal gold.

Pic sans flash:

Bizill

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »
I did get what I assume ya'll consider "turbidity" once.  That particular batch I must've strayed from Kephra's recipe.  That batch I did as cold ionic silver and then heated and reduced it with Karo syrup.

The thing is, I let it sit overnight and by morning, all turbidity was gone.  Shook the jar up and everything.  No more of those particles.

Turbid batch on left.  Old batch on right.

I just remembered, I followed the same recipe, only I did not flame clean the silver bullion after that first batch.  I went straight in with the second batch.  ...but then again, that wouldn't be the cause of the turbidity as these two batches were made cold and then heated and reduced.  I think.  I should have kept a journal.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:13:04 PM by Bizill »

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
All very interesting. When I screw up & get a turbid batch it does not go away no matter how long I wait. (I use it for things like soaking the dog's foot if infected or whatever.)

I do not have a silvertron (wish I did) so I'm not an expert on the subject but I will venture these observations (guesses):
I'm sure Kephra will correct if I say something that is wrong.
In your last pic that shows the (used to be) turbid batch along-side the older batch: If I didn't know it was made with a silvertron I would have said that the batch on the left is higher PPM than the one on right. BUT since I know it was made with the ST and I know that the ST would have put the exact same PPM of IS into each batch then I am guessing that perhaps the batch on the right is not fully reduced to colloidal silver.  IE: It is A mixture of colloidal silver & IS. You could probably test this by putting the older batch into 2 identical glasses and then adding a drop of reducer to one of them.  Wait overnight to see if the glass with the reducer got darker. If so, it would indicate that my guess was correct. If your goal is to have fully reduced colloidal silver then you might have to alter your methods a little.

When I try to make colloidal silver that is heat (only) reduced it usually turns out that it does not fully reduce also. This might be great for topical uses but it has been stressed that if you want colloidal silver for drinking then you should make sure that it is fully reduced to colloidal silver.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
SilverTrons measure how much silver goes into the water.  They cannot determine how much stays in the water, so insufficient sodium allowing silver to plate out onto the cathode will result in lower final ppm for example.

Rick, that is correct, it will never fully heat reduce because the actual reducing agent is the hydrogen gas given off when the sodium ions reduce to sodium metal and then react with water again.  Some of the hydrogen gas is inevitably lost, so there wiil not be enough left to fully reduce the silver.

Bizill

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 11:25:21 PM »
So should I use possibly more electrolyte?  I do get a tad bit of plating onto my copper cathode.  It rubs off, but not completely, with just my finger.  I do clean it completely with a soft scrub.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 11:31:26 PM »
No, I was just giving an example of how one thing affects something else. 

Offline RickinWI

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 02:44:13 AM »
 Only way to know for sure if the lighter colored batches are that way because they contain fewer PPM due to plate out on cathode OR if they are lighter because they are not fully reduced is to try the simple experiment I suggested earlier. Only takes a few minutes.  I like to use 2 identical wine glasses. Fill them each to the same level and put a tiny drop of Karo in one of them. Wait a day and you should be able to tell.

I forgot to mention earlier: The reason I remarked about the outstanding color (and clarity) of that first colloidal silver pic you posted was that I ASSumed it was 20 PPM & also that it was fully reduced.  If you had colloidal silver that was actually 20PPM AND was FULLY Reduced and it was the color of your first colloidal silver pic (light greenish yellow---kind of like Mountain Dew) I think it would mean that you had made a batch that has smaller silver particle sizes.  I call that color "Unobtainium".  I have come close with a few batches.

Bizill

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
I got home tonight and completely spaced trying to work on the stain.  I got in on the highly praised (for the price) Monoprice 8323 http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2 headphones and played with them all night.  As most reviews state, they sound great for the price.  I was going to spend high dollars on a Sennheiser set but decided to spend money elsewhere. 

Hopefully I'll get to this stain and update with any pertinent information.