Author Topic: What was wrong  (Read 8935 times)

atadincselim

What was wrong
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
I read everything about the making colloidal silver and i prepare a current regulator. It keep the current at 6ma not give permission to bigger. When i try the first time i used just distilled water without sodyum carbonate, there is a powerful cloudy began at the end of the positive silver just in 1 minutes.. And second try with distilled water and 10drops sodyum corbonate mix fir 500ml water. Starting is same with the first one.. A white cloud began from positive side. My resistor current is 0.01 at began and at the end of one hour all water turned white colour. I checked with ppm meter it shows 160ppm. It is not possible for our formula. I am using silver wires. I have tested them and the report is 999. After one hour the possitive silver plated something is yellow colour. And some parts of this swimming in the water.. Anybody has an idea about what was wrong. I am sharing the picture of the process.

atadincselim

Re: What was wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »
+my power supply is 30volt 0.8 amphere dc and regulator limited max 6ma

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »
How did you test your current limiter?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

atadincselim

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »
I connected the multimeter to end of the cable which is going to anode. i put the red mark at your schema attached.
Thanks

atadincselim

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
Mr. Bill please know about i put the negative and positive silver in the water full part at the began. (not increase part by part.) because of the resistance's current is very low(0.01amphere)

atadincselim

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:43:50 PM »
Where did you put the other end of the meter cable?
What resistor value did you use in the regulator?
.01 Amps is not very low,  thats 10 milliamps.

I connect one of the multimeter cable to anode silver wire and the other one is a little bit backside of the first one. As like i show you at the picture.. I think it is not 10ma. Because when i remove the silver wires from the circuit and plug multimeter to circuit and i switched the multimeter to 20mA the screen show me 6.00 and when i plug it as like the picture it shows 0.01. It means 0.01ma or i plug the multimeter wrong..

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
Well your meter is not connected correctly then.,
You should disconnect the positive silver electrode from the regulator.
Connect the red meter lead (positive) to the regulator
Connect the black meter lead to the positive electrode.

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:21:05 PM »
I concur with Kephra.   You need to put the meter in SERIES between the source and load to read current. The current you're reading needs to flow THROUGH the meter too or it won't read correctly.

As stated, output of limiter to positive meter lead, negative meter lead to the anode of your cell, NO direct connection between the output of the limiter and your cell anode while you're measuring current.

Another test to make sure your limiter is working properly is to simply disconnect it from the circuit and simply put the positive meter lead on the output and the negative meter lead on ground and set the meter to measure current and power up the limiter.  With that circuit it must limit to the same current this way as when you're reading in series with your cell.

If in series with your cell you're not getting the same current it means you need more electrolyte or need to adjust the depth of the cathode to compensate (increase conductivity).

You submerge the anode in the water as far as you can (more is better).  You submerge the cathode maybe not even 1/4" (6mm or less).  With the correct amount of electrolyte (about 20 drops per liter of 1 molar sodium carbonate solution), you may even have to back the cathode out to be 2-3mm.  It all depends on what you're using for your cathode (copper wire works just fine and is cheap and easy to find - silver buys you nothing as a cathode - only for the anode as the silver comes off the anode and nothing comes off nor plates onto the cathode - at least with the proper amount of electrolyte in solution) and the total submerged surface area of the cathode.

The current limiter doesn't really help any if you're not adding electrolyte because the only way Faraday's law of electrolysis works is if the set current is flowing from the very start of the electrolysis and is then held constant throughout the whole of the run.  You can't "build up" to the set current over time because then its a crap shoot where you can't then use Faraday's law and who knows what PPM you made?  Just saying...

Do keep us posted of your progress.

atadincselim

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
Now i exactly understand what you mean about the serial connection and current woking  prenicples.. I wil try and will  share the result. Thank you all :)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
By the way, some time ago, a person confused baking soda with baking powder and had a similar outcome to yours.  Baking powder is not the correct substance. 

atadincselim

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
By the way, some time ago, a person confused baking soda with baking powder and had a similar outcome to yours.  Baking powder is not the correct substance.

Today i will bake it on your method. And if it is not mix with water again i will change the bicarbonade brand.

atadincselim

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
I baked bicarbonate and this time it has mixed with water well.
And i find the reason of the cloud. I tested the distiled water which i used and tds meter showed about 140ppm. Can't believe my eyes the company sell the distiled water but it is as like tap water.. In my country everything is possible. Whatever, i find another distiled water which is 0 ppm and i started the electrolize by instructions..
Added 10 drops sodyum carbonate solution for 500ml water
Added full part of positive silver wire and Minimum part of negative.
I connected the multimeter serial to the positive side..
At the start of electrolize Ampheremeter shows about 2mA and i put inside the negative silver and fixed when i saw 4.80mA
But it is not stable. Allways try to go up. At the 5.3mA i taked back the negative silver and try to fix it 5mA. Again going up and i take back nagative side.. This was continued until end of 30 minutes. I stopped the electrolize on 30th minute. I added 2 drops corn syrup mix (my corn syrup is not light because there is no light syrup in my country. And another point maybe i have a mistake if 2 drops for 1 lt i should dropping 1..) and i heat it to 60celcius degree. It changed to perfectly golden yellow colour. Everything is showen good. I drink it about 10ml and it has no taste. But when i take a look with tds meter, it shows 220ppm. And there is swimming some white parts (as like silver parts but i am not sure).
At the end of this working many parts is well but i calculated about 20ppm for 30 minutes. But the results is so different. So the question is same. What was wrong?

(i added the result picture and the swimming parts picture)

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »
1) Turn on the power and touch the two silver electrodes together and see what the ammeter reads.  This is the value you should get in your electrolysis cell. Record that and turn off the power.
2) Set up your cell with water and electrolyte again.
3) Disconnect your ammeter.
4) Set your meter to volts
5) Connect the red meter lead to your positive electrode.
6) Connect the black meter lead to your negative electrode.
7) Connect your current regulator directly to the anode.
8) Turn on the power and read the voltage across your electrodes
9) Adjust your negative electrode up or down to get 10 to 15 volts
10) Time your run according to the reading you took in step 1.

atadincselim

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
1) Turn on the power and touch the two silver electrodes together and see what the ammeter reads.  This is the value you should get in your electrolysis cell. Record that and turn off the power.
2) Set up your cell with water and electrolyte again.
3) Disconnect your ammeter.
4) Set your meter to volts
5) Connect the red meter lead to your positive electrode.
6) Connect the black meter lead to your negative electrode.
7) Connect your current regulator directly to the anode.
8) Turn on the power and read the voltage across your electrodes
9) Adjust your negative electrode up or down to get 10 to 15 volts
10) Time your run according to the reading you took in step 1.

Ok i will try this instruction. just i didn't understand the number 10.
Because i will take the amphere in step1. And i will take voltage in step 10.. How they can be same in run?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:53 PM »
Because in step 3 you disconnected the ammeter, you don't need it after step 1.