Author Topic: First Batch! both rods turned black  (Read 5829 times)

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: First Batch! both rods turned black
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »
Buy a single hotplate. The liquid will be adequately stirred by the convection currents. Otherwise, if you really want a hotplate/stirrer, buy a cheap laboratory heated stirrer unit, and they will do as well.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 07:22:10 PM »
Hmm I just heard so much about stirring. If you are sure heating is enough, could you make any recommendations? I looked at the cheaper stirrer/heater combos but the reviews make me worry. I wouldn't want to spend the earth, but I would want to dabble with stronger PPM for more condensed long term storage in case of emergency so I can dilute when needed but rely on normal 20ppm in the meantime.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 07:34:56 PM »
I have bought a cheap hotplate of the sort used by students in their rooms. very cheap from Amazon.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 08:02:46 PM »
Do you have any pictures? I am struggling to find one. I find cheap stirrers which sometimes show kids doing science, but not seen just a hotplate which is cheap.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 08:09:13 PM »
Oh wow, I was not thinking of anything like that. I was thinking science. Nice. Would this one create those movement currents you talked about, enough to handle 10-15ma of full shabang hot colloidal silver creation? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Electric-Portable-Hotplate-Cooktop/dp/B07S4K5QS1/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2591MF0GJMRUM&keywords=portable+hot+plates&qid=1582661004&s=home-garden&sprefix=portable+hotplate%2Caps%2C209&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFBOFZWSVpaS0wxRFMmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5Mjk1MTczQTREUDc1UFhHWElGJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NDg5OTcxQUw1TlNWMUhEQThBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

EDIT: I just thought, instead of me with my polystyrine buffer to raise my chocolate block up enough to get the electrodes into the cold water just right, what if I instead extend the copper wire that everything is connected to and use my desk vice to dangle the chocolate block at the right height into the lower down heated water from one of those hotplates? Perhaps that would not only have the convection currents but would cause little movement in the electrodes rig also. SInce the copper 2mm wire they are attached to are securely fitted into slots in the chocolate block, they can't move and I could always brace them against each other if really needed but I doubt the movement would be that vigourous to require strengthening. I'd just have to lower it down using string and ensure as usual I have enough space space on the anode to prevent water getting onto the crocodile clip and secure the string so it cannot lower any farther.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:28:27 PM by Turbidaceous »

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
My shopping list, for when I get paid next month:

Then I just need some cheap vodka.