Author Topic: possible 40ppm IS  (Read 6466 times)

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: possible 40ppm IS
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:31 PM »
Yes, the ionic silver started to precipitate because it was super saturated (above solubility limit). 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »
i did not want to bother with starting a new topic since my latest questions relate to this one. so here goes:
with the same scenario as stated on first post except that quantity and timings have been doubled and adjusted for 50ppm i.e. 167minutes at 10ma and 111minutes at 15ma.
running at 15ma is not something i intend to do again but i am curious about my results.
the 10ma batch heated to 30*c only at start is still clear as water but the 15ma batch also heated at start to 30*c has started to reduce to Colloidal Silver or something else only after around 6hours. it is now a pale golden yellow  similar to 20ppm. does anyone know why this has happened

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
It sure sounds like your current is not correct.
Can you post a picture of your setup?
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 01:45:36 PM »
sorry i am unable to take a picture right now however i did ocassionaly check the current with a multimeter. here is a previously taken picture of my set up which is called the" bigbear silver generator":
https://www.cgcsforum.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3677.0;attach=3171
the meter readings i took were near enough the same as the silver generator's ammeter display and i have made several good batches of both IS and Colloidal Silver.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 03:18:15 PM »
Have you measured the voltage across the electrodes?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
I would add that my batches of Ionic Silver Oxide sometimes have the same thing happen, but as I make three litre batches, it often happens to one bottle out of the three.

Therefore, it is likely that the problem may be related to very slight contamination of the storage bottle. If the Ionic Silver Oxide is still nearly clear, I ignore the slight reduction and use the bottle anyway. I only chuck it out if the solution goes grey and cloudy. I first noticed this when I reused a plastic Pepsi bottle, which had residual Pepsi around the screw threads.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
Kephra
 i did not measure the voltage but the wall power  supply output says 18v at 2ma

cfnisbet
thanks. since i did not make the solution for drinking then i will go ahead and use it in my dental flosser.
i must say though that the vessel was first cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and a bottle brush then rinsed several times with DW. i am almost certain no contamination was present

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »
The voltage across the electrodes is very important.  You should measure it.
Also, how can you run 10 mA with a 2mA power supply.  Something is not right.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
Kephra
That was a typo. what i meant is 2A output.
i am now running a new batch and i am very suprised that i am getting voltage readings off two different multimeters that vary between 1.3v and 1.9v.
i have read your articles and posts stating a minimum voltage of 3.51v. but my silver solutions made with same generator only producing 1.3v to 1.9v work at keeping my infections at bay. i really do not understand what is going on.
according to your articles i really should not be able to produce silver solutions that are effective with such low voltages.
when i measured the voltage by connecting the generator leads directly to my multimeter i got a reading of around 17.8v but when the measurement was taken while i was actually running a batch of IS i then got readings of 1.3v-1.9v.
i suppose it is possible that my 56drops of electrolyte per 2230ml of DW might be excessive thus dropping the voltage too low.
i will run another batch later with reduced electrolyte and report back.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:44:14 PM by emanwols »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »
according to your articles i really should not be able to produce silver solutions that are effective with such low voltages.
Thats not what I said.  I said that you cannot simultaneously oxidize silver and reduce sodium unless there was a 3.52 volt difference.  It only takes .8 volts to make sodium hydroxide.  If there is not enough voltage then the sodium cannot protect the cathode from substantial plate out.

Voltage is necessary as it is also what moves ions from one electrode to the other and out of the boundary layer.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
are you saying that my low voltage is not something i should be concerned about? or do i need to find ways of increasing it.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Yes, you should correct it.  This should be easy to do as I have suggested many times.

If you don't, you will have substandard Colloidal Silver and not be able to able to judge ppm.
Member gandolf demonstrated what happens with low voltage, and confirmed my statements.

First, you should verify that your sodium carbonate solution is correct.  It should be 10.6 grams per 100ml of water. 

Second, adjust your voltage by raising your electrodes, especially your negative electrode, and turn off the polarity switching.

Offline emanwols

• Participant
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
I am unable to turn off reverse polarity
This morning i cut down on my EL quantity from 56 drops to 15 drops and my volts shot up to between 6v and 7.10v all at 10mA
At 15mA my voltage is consistently between 7.5v and 9v.
I am using two silver rods : 7guage(3.6mm thick) with about 8inches submerged in the DW. I also use magnetic stirring.
How far do you think i can sensibly push these rods in terms of raising the current going through them? My generator can go up to around 25mA and it seems the higher i push up the current the higher my volts get towards being above the magic 10v or 7.0192v for two identical electrode according to member Gandolf
On my next batch i will reduce the quantity of EL to around 13drops before i experiment with higher currents

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:15:45 AM by emanwols »

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
Raise both of your electrodes so you have only an inch or two submerged.  That is far better than changing your electrolyte.  Use 10 volts as a minimum.

Use 1 ml of 1 molar sodium carbonate per liter of water. 

Run your stirrer fast enough to create a vortex as deep as your electrodes. 

Offline WayneInPHX

• Expert
  • Participant
  • Witty saying goes here... Ok--> "42"
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 06:43:23 AM »
How far do you think i can sensibly push these rods in terms of raising the current going through them?

My calculations for 7 Gauge show: with ONE INCH (25.4mm) of ANODE in the water, the optimum cathode (in-water length) is: 7.5mm and the MAX STILL WATER current is 4.45 ma.

THAT means it would be a VERY good idea to be using a stirrer cranked up as Kep described.
Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand.  We listen with the intent to reply.  -  From a TED Talk

"I've decided I'm not old. I'm 25 plus shipping & handling!"