Author Topic: 320 ppm First Attempt  (Read 1610 times)

caneman

320 ppm First Attempt
« on: March 01, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
Thought I would give 320 ppm a try, followed instructions for 8 oz:  bloomed 1/8 tsp Knox gelatin in 8 oz room temp dw for 5', heated to 180F, added 5 drops electrolyte & 5 drops Karo lt, used a heated stir plate that stayed betwenn 165F-190F  the entire 80 min run @ 15 ma, here are the results:

from left to right: 
[1]  8 oz of 320 ppm (or supposed to be)
[2]  2 oz of 320 diluted in 1 qt of dw (should be 20 ppm)
[3]  1 oz of 320 diluted in 1 qt of dw (should be 10 ppm)
[4]  20 ppm reduced/capped made in separate run using 1 qt for 30 min @ 10 ma run time

They are much darker than I expected, so somehow the ppm must be much greater than 320 and im not sure how that happened!

One new thing I tried that worked really well was my cheap IF Thermometer, easy to take temp readings during the production run!  ~$12 on ebay

Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated!

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: 320 ppm First Attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »
No, its 320 ppm if your current and time were correct, it can't be anything else. 

As I have explained before, the color is darker because the heavy gelatin molecules makes the particles act as if they are slightly larger.  The color (actually the wavelength of absorbed light) of the nanoparticles varies linearly with particle size, but the over light absorption varies as the 6th power of the particle size.  So a very tiny change in the apparent particle size makes a huge difference in how dark it looks.

See the article I recently posted about Tyndall effect to see the formula for scattered light intensity from small diameter particles.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline gbd8977

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 08:50:31 PM »
This is my first attempt at 320ppm with cinnamon extract 16ml. I used the formula for the 80 minutes of cook time. I used 20mA instead of 15 and 10 volts. I did not use any karo or gelatin. I do want to use this for creams and humidifier. For traveling purposes with the family. With the online ppm calculator and the color charts it seems to have made 300ppm which im fine with. I have attached pictures with it. I did add the extract 4ml at 20 minute intervals. I tried the diluted 40 and taste no metal. The outcome is a bit muddy looking but clears up when diluted. I did use a double un-bleached coffee filter to clean it up. With 8oz/250 water i added 8 tsp and the results are in the picture. Any comments would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:03:00 AM by gbd8977 »

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 10:39:13 PM »
Next time, add all of the reducer at the start and do it at room temperature. Cinnamon can handle room temp, it's quite fast. That should cut down on the turbidity.

Offline gbd8977

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 10:47:15 PM »
Thank you very much will do! I did use heat next time i will not!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:00:32 AM by gbd8977 »

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 10:55:58 AM »
It looks usable (I don't think turbidity is inherently unhealthy, just not desired) but you'll be able to do better as you tweak the process. Besides temperature and speed of reduction, good quality distilled water and clean glassware make a difference, too.

By the way, my Colloidal Silver cream did hold up longer than expected but it does eventually discolor. It's naturally mustard yellow, but now is turning white where it comes in contact with air. I don't think it's bacteria as it's so strongly antibacterial, but some reaction is taking place. Maybe it will last longer using emulsifying agents that are more stable. Lanolin or beeswax would be my guess for better shelf life, opposed to these fatty alcohol-type pellets.

Or even better: Using whichever's available in small amounts as needed, but storing the Colloidal Silver in its high-ppm colloidal form. That lasts way longer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:02:19 AM by SaltyCornflakes »