Author Topic: gel capping questions  (Read 1474 times)

rogwhat53

gel capping questions
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:31:37 AM »
I am about to try gel capping for my first time.

Does the gel capping stock per Kephra's Recipe need to be refrigerated between uses? I thought I read somewhere that it sould be but cannot find that now.

Does a, say. 40ppm gel capped colloidal silver need also to be refrigerated? Seems like it must be so, but I think I have also seen that uncapped colloidal silver should not be refrigerated....?

rogerw

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: gel capping questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:39:02 AM »
I can't answer your question as to refrigerating gelatine solution as I don't do it this way but once Colloidal Silver is capped, it can sit out on the table or counter forever as long as its in a sealed container (mason jar or similar). It will NOT go bad and I've had some lying around for several years at this point and its still fine.

I don't actually make enough Colloidal Silver often enough to justify making pre-dissolved (bloomed) gelatine solution. I  just sprinkle what is needed on the surface of the finished Colloidal Silver slowly so it sinks and blooms without causing clumps which would never go into solution, let it sit a while, give it a stir with a chopstick (wooden - its NOT "cold" and as such won't pick up any of the gelatine), cap and let cool.

rogwhat53

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
... but once colloidal silver is capped, it can sit out on the table or counter forever as long as its in a sealed container (mason jar or similar). It will NOT go bad and I've had some lying around for several years at this point and its still fine.

Does that mean that after the seal is broken (was sealed hot and then cooled for storage) a gelatin capped Colloidal Silver should be refrigerated?

rogerw

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 11:01:59 PM »
No. I've had partial jars of it for a long time on the counter. Just put the lid back on tightly when you're done taking some.

rogwhat53

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 11:55:59 PM »
No. I've had partial jars of it for a long time on the counter. Just put the lid back on tightly when you're done taking some.

Thanks, Gene!

rogerw

rogwhat53

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
I read somewhere online an analysis of a commercially prepared silver-protein-named product as hosting bacteria that was feeding on the protein that encapsulated the silver nanoparticles......

Has anyone had a different experience than Gene's with either refrigerating or not refrigerating gel capped colloidal silver (especially after opening and using, subsequent to original sealing with heat)?

rogerw

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 11:22:29 PM »
I read somewhere online an analysis of a commercially prepared silver-protein-named product as hosting bacteria that was feeding on the protein that encapsulated the silver nanoparticles......

Has anyone had a different experience than Gene's with either refrigerating or not refrigerating gel capped colloidal silver (especially after opening and using, subsequent to original sealing with heat)?

rogerw

The particles in the 'silver-protein' were probably too large to have antimicrobial properties.

I don't seal my 320 ppm gelcapped Colloidal Silver with heat. I let it cool, partly so I can standardize the volume, but also so I can filter it. Filtering hot/warm liquids spreads the fibers, letting things through that you want trapped.

I have never refrigerated it. I've had it on the shelf anywhere from weeks to months, being randomly opened and it never seems to go bad.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

rogwhat53

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 06:10:13 PM »
Thank you Gene and NeoFizz!
I appreciate your sharing your experience.

I have been refrigerating the Gelatine Stock made per Kephra's instructions, but I suppose that too is unnnecessary?

Or maybe I will try Gene's technique and eliminate the question..... Gene, how much Knox Gelatin do you sprinkle into a quart/Liter?

rogerw