Author Topic: Cinnamon - a polyphenol -- alchohol that acts as an acid  (Read 7753 times)

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
Cinnamon - a polyphenol -- alchohol that acts as an acid
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
Cinnamon Bark Extract
-Polyphenol

But do you know what a polyphenol really is? It’s a simple concept, actually. It starts with phenol (FEE·nole), a small organic compound consisting of a benzene ring (a hexagon made of six carbon atoms, each with one hydrogen atom attached) in which one of the hydrogens has been replaced by a hydroxyl group, –OH.* If a larger molecule contains a phenol unit as part of its own structure, it’s called a phenolic compound. And if it contains more than one phenol unit, it’s called a polyphenolic compound, or simply a polyphenol. In many polyphenols, an additional hydroxyl group or two is attached to one or more of the benzene rings.

*Phenol (also called carbolic acid) is an odd compound—an alcohol that behaves like an acid instead of a base. It’s an important industrial chemical, used in making Nylon, plastics, resins, dyestuffs, explosives, and pharmaceuticals, among other things. In medicine, it’s used as an antiseptic and disinfectant. If taken internally, it’s caustic and poisonous—not the kind of substance you would expect as the basis for a cornucopia of health-giving compounds.

Epicatechin
There are many different classes of polyphenols, of which the three major ones are tannins, lignins, and flavonoids. And the six major classes of flavonoids, with their many subclasses, comprise over 4000 different compounds, at least 50 of which are present in plant-based foods and beverages, notably berries, tea, and red wine. Unless (or even if) you’re a chemistry junkie, it’s hard to keep all the names straight and remember which compounds belong to which class.

Two notable features of dietary flavonoids (and of most biologically active polyphenols of other types) are: (1) they are beneficial to our health, and (2) they have virtually no known toxicity or adverse side effects.

The health benefits of polyphenol-rich foods have been recognized for thousands of years. Modern scientists have long believed that these benefits derive mainly from the polyphenols’ strong antioxidant properties (in laboratory experiments), but recent research has suggested that other mechanisms may be much more important in living organisms. In any case, polyphenols offer a host of documented benefits against heart disease, cancer, inflammation, dementia, vision disorders, allergies, impotence, viral infections, and more.
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

bsilverman444

Re: Cinnamon - a polyphenol -- alchohol that acts as an acid
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
Very interesting! Are you a chemist???

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
That'd interesting, because I make the cinnamon extract the way Kephra originally suggested, with about a teaspoon of cinnamon powder steeped in 100mls of vodka for a day or so (I wanted to use denatured alcohol, but the licence cost more than the vodka (go figure)). It works very fast, every time.

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
Denatured alcohol is toxic.  I think you meant grain alcohol (ethanol).

Using Vodka is better.  There are components in the Cin. that extract better with alcohol (oils for instance), and other components that extract better with water.  I used to be able to buy 190 proof grain alcohol, but it has become illegal in Pennsylvania.... too many high potency jello shots were being made. 
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

kscmac

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:01:54 PM »
They are trying idiot proof everything! Problem is that idiots are ingenious

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
You are right. They sell it as ethanol. I applied the wrong name to it, it's not the stuff with the added poison. It is basically pure ethanol which you need a licence to purchase (or you'd be able to make very cheap vodka). If I buy the sort of quantity I would need, then without the licence, you have to pay about the same price as top-quality vodka, clearly to stop the public from drinking it/selling it. So I buy very cheap "value" supermarket vodka instead, about £10 for a 70cl bottle.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
I copied that info from a cooking site that focused on health.  I have been scratching my head trying to figure out what the reducing agent in cinnamon is. At least we know its an acid, which makes sense.
"The art of healing comes from nature, not from the physician. Therefore the physician must start from nature, with an open mind." - Paracelsus

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
Would you please add a link to the original site to credit them.  It was good information.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant

kscmac

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
That is good info!

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:54:51 AM »
Now that we know its a poly-phenol that is reducing the colloid, and that phenols are anti oxidants, how does this capped colloidal gold/Colloidal Silver break down into the body? Also how does this effect the theoretical "time released" ionic potential of colloidal silver, for better or for worse? Also can this be used as topical, does the skin break down phenol? I will share what I find.

Offline mraluma415

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
phenolic acids: These are found naturally in plants and act as a defense mechanism to protect from bacteria, parasites, and injury to the cell wall. In the human body, phenols have also been proven to have antibacterial properties. In particular, when it comes to digestive health, they can maintain the balance between good and bad bacteria in the colon by keeping the growth of bad bacteria under control.

Hmm. I wonder if this is true. Are these reducing agents still of good use to the body when they have played the "reduction" role?

How would a capped particle look if we saw it through microscopy?

would the reducing agent be clustered around the particles, form a bubble around the particle, or be a part of the particle?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
Since the body can break down foods like cinnamon, its very likely that it can remove the capping agent (cinnamon extract) from the particle.  If the digestive system were not able to break down this substance, it would be of no use to the body.  This would be hard to test on others, but in reality, I have tested this on myself.  Since I rely on colloidal gold to keep me walking (because of the autoimmune induced by Lymerix), I am confident that it works because I have taken a lot of gold I reduced with cinnamon.  If it didn't, I would see the same symptoms I see if I quit taking colloidal gold.

bsilverman444

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
It sounds amazing that the colloidal gold is that effective. What do others who dont trust/know about colloidal gold take for the same symptoms?

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 02:47:35 PM »
It sounds amazing that the colloidal gold is that effective. What do others who dont trust/know about colloidal gold take for the same symptoms?
They don't, they just sit in their wheelchairs.  Really, I went to four rheumatologists to get help from the damned Lymerix vaccine automimmune arthritis, and the best they could do was say 'sorry nothing we can do, you just have to live with it'.  There were 15000 people who took the vaccine, and 30% of those developed untreatable arthritis from it...   that's 4500 people screwed over big time, many of whom are in wheelchairs, and most don't even know what caused it.  I would not know what did this to me if it weren't for my cardiologist who happened to see an obscure paper about it, and then told me.