Author Topic: Why is my water cloudy?  (Read 1195 times)

TheresaBee

Why is my water cloudy?
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
Someone wonderful, please help me. I've got my DW prepped and ready for the Silvertron to be switched on, which means I've added the electrolyte, the Karo and sprinkled on the gelatin. The water is now cloudy as if the gelatin won't fully dissolve and yet it's been spinning and warming for a good hour. Is it worth ploughing on with this batch or shall I just scrap it?

TheresaBee

Re: Why is my water cloudy?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
Yes it was hot enough, but just really looked so murky, and quite opaque almost, so I decided to start afresh. This lot has dissolved perfectly so I'm glad I did in the end. Thank you for your help Petal.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »
When reading scientific papers I always note that the lab assistants are very peculiar about the way they add reagents, drop by drop with second intervals, for example. I have been curious as to how critical this is? Anyway, to avoid problems with different dissolution times, I always prepare the reagents, by dissolving in bi-distilled water, in the case of gelatin, plant extracts, etc., I even heat it up. Is that being overzealous, or is there some sense in that?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 05:00:58 PM »
When reading scientific papers I always note that the lab assistants are very peculiar about the way they add reagents, drop by drop with second intervals, for example. I have been curious as to how critical this is? Anyway, to avoid problems with different dissolution times, I always prepare the reagents, by dissolving in bi-distilled water, in the case of gelatin, plant extracts, etc., I even heat it up. Is that being overzealous, or is there some sense in that?
Highly unlikely to make the slightest difference.

I suspect that those technicians have been told that processes should be as similar as possible, and that some technicians are marginally autistic. This is a recipe for semi OCD behaviour. It is important to use the same broad process each time, but one can go too far.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
Highly unlikely to make the slightest difference.

I suspect that those technicians have been told that processes should be as similar as possible, and that some technicians are marginally autistic. This is a recipe for semi OCD behaviour. It is important to use the same broad process each time, but one can go too far.

Ha, ha, I thought along those lines, but don't tell 'em that!