Author Topic: I'm feeling pretty dumb today...  (Read 817 times)

pureequine

I'm feeling pretty dumb today...
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:02:27 PM »
Just joined this site, reading through everything, making notes, totally enthralled and so excited there's so much information here

But here's my question:

If Ionic Silver will be CLEAR and that is produced with your standard wee 9 volt set up.........

I use a standard 9 volt set up, with the 2 wires in distilled water, nothing added. Obviously I need to work on using the recipes on this site to get a better product

BUT   :o

I do get a solution that is NOT clear. Varying shades of yellow to amber. It's never clear.

Can someone use very small words to tell me what I'm doing wrong with that?

Thank you!
Jenn

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: I'm feeling pretty dumb today...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 02:18:32 PM »
Firstly, good! It's not meant to be clear.

Secondly, if you are making the product in anything other than perfectly clean conditions with cold water in darkness, you will get some reduction - which is what I think it happening here.

Heat, ultraviolet light from fluorescent tubes, strong sunlight, any amount (no matter how low) of contamination by reducing sugars or other reducing agents. These will all reduce the ionic silver oxide to the yellowish silver nanoparticles.

pureequine

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »
And that's a good thing?

I'm using only distilled water, no electrolytes... and getting a yellow product. I've been reading on this forum for what feels like days and if I understand correctly, my colloidal silver should NOT be clear.

I guess I'm confused because I'm getting the "yellow" and not using anything other than distilled water. Also if I don't store it properly it gets darker and will be almost amber.

I'm sorry for the ridiculous questions. I'm reading the articles and other threads on this forum, I swear LOL
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:17:02 PM by pureequine »

pureequine

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »
I feel a little like rain man right now.

When I make "Colloidal Silver" using the electrolysis method and simple distilled water, it's actually not Colloidal Silver, it's silver oxide.

I think it's become very clear to me why the products that contain Colloidal Silver that are marketed for equine ingestion cause the problems they seem to.
Lightbulb moment.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 07:22:53 PM »
pureequine,
I run into a similar problem when I want to make pure ionic silver for creams and other purposes. And even though the ionic silver starts to turn yellow (colloidal), there is still a lot of ionic in there if it is not being properly reduced using the method(s) described in this forum. Additionally, when the methods of reduction and stabilization described here are not carried out, the nanoparticles will continue to grow in size until they are no longer useful.

I tested this by making pure ionic silver solution (20 ppm) and kept it in a dark cupboard. It started out clear and colorless. In a couple months it was an opaque brown and useless. This has never happened with properly reduced, stabilized and/or capped samples. I've had some sit around almost a year before using them and they were still like new. Even if they were in the light they still held. Others have reported years.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »
The electrolysis phase of making colloidal silver, which is a failed plating cell due to the electrolyte we use (pulls silver ions into the water and gives them no where to go - usually plate out on the cathode but as I said, our electrolyte prevents this) makes IS.

IS is simply silver oxide dissolved in water.

When this phase is done (correct time based on the current you're running), you REDUCE the ionic form to colloidal form by introducing a sugar (glucose, maltose,...) which are classified as reducing sugars.  What this does, at a warm enough temperature (say above 120F) is that the sugar molecules grab hold of the oxygen on the silver oxide and it oxidizes the sugar molecules and pure elemental nanoscopic silver particles are left floating in solution (colloidal silver).

There's obviously more to this process and care needs to be taken so during electrolysis you don't produce more silver oxide than can dissolve in the water so it doesn't start precipitating out of solution which isn't good but its not complex chemistry.

Make ionic silver by electrolysis, reduce, gel-cap if you want to, done.

The literature and documents here on this site will basically explain all the rest.

You DO need a current limiter because if you're not running a constant, fixed current through the cell, you have zero clue what PPM you made. It can't be measured. The only way you know is by running constant current and using Faraday's law of electrolysis to determine run time to the PPM you want.

BTW, at room temp (that'd be 75F, not colder), the solubility limit of silver oxide in water is a hair above 20PPM (21-22PPM but don't go there).  If you heat the cell to 150F as I do, that raises solubility limit to around 40PPM which gives you a nice guard band when making higher PPM Colloidal Silver with continuous reduction where there's sufficient time for the reducing agent to do its job before you exceed the solubility limit.

Try Colloidal Silver in your creams and for other purposes. IS has very LOW disease fighting ability.  From whats been said on this site, Colloidal Silver has about 35x more potency than IS for the same PPM.  Also, IS at a high enough PPM CAN and DOES turn your skin blue and it doesn't wash off. Its basically a permanent dye that has to wear off and that takes a while.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 08:04:18 PM »
pureequine,
I run into a similar problem when I want to make pure ionic silver for creams and other purposes. And even though the ionic silver starts to turn yellow (colloidal), there is still a lot of ionic in there if it is not being properly reduced using the method(s) described in this forum. Additionally, when the methods of reduction and stabilization described here are not carried out, the nanoparticles will continue to grow in size until they are no longer useful.

I tested this by making pure ionic silver solution (20 ppm) and kept it in a dark cupboard. It started out clear and colorless. In a couple months it was an opaque brown and useless. This has never happened with properly reduced, stabilized and/or capped samples. I've had some sit around almost a year before using them and they were still like new. Even if they were in the light they still held. Others have reported years.

I have stored ionic silver oxide solution in amber glass bottles I only use for this purpose, inside a refrigerator (average temperature here is 30° C), and it stays unaltered, colorless for months, and shows high ionic content doing the salt test. I have also used very well cleaned out gin and grape juice bottles, in which case the ionic silver reduced in a couple of days. This shows how little contamination is needed to mess up your ionic silver solution.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
I understand what you are saying FlyingDutchman. There was once a time where I could store IS in my well cleaned glass juice bottles and it would seem to keep fine. Since practicing the methods on this site it seems to be a thing of the past. I agree, minute levels of contamination is all that's needed for the IS to start "seeds" that get the ball rolling.

I have taken care to keep IS production equipment away from Colloid equipment but still seem to have hit and miss times with it. It's like colloidal gremlins are tampering when I'm not looking (or even when I am). All jokes aside, when I'm fully settled in and have the time, more experimentation will happen.  ;)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."