Author Topic: Baked baking soda vs washing soda  (Read 622 times)

Blackthorn

Baked baking soda vs washing soda
« on: January 18, 2020, 01:40:26 AM »
I made two identical (at least as close as I could) batches of colloidal silver except for the electrolyte. Well technically it is the same electrolyte since baked baking soda is sodium carbonate (washing soda). I got different results for each though as far as color and clarity go. The baked baking soda came out darker yet seemed to be more clear. Has anybody else had this experience? Which of the 2 should I continue making for consumption? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 02:19:00 AM by Blackthorn »

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Baked baking soda vs washing soda
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:36 PM »
I suspect you actually had 2 different amounts of electrolyte.
In chemistry, if you do the exact same thing you will get the exact same result.  So your batches were not the same.

I think a lot of problems happen because of measuring the sodium carbonate.
Electronic scales have a feature called auto zero.  If you put a weight on the scale and then turn it on, it will automatically read zero.  Thats a nice feature.

However, if you turn the scale on, and then add weight a small amount at a time, it will keep re-zeroing, and the result is that the final result is heavier than it should be.  The scale reads light.

The solution is to put a known weight on the scale first before adding the chemical.  I use an American nickel which is 5 grams.  Once you put the weight on the scale, it will defeat the auto-zero function, and it will read 5 grams.  Then weigh out your chemical until it weighs 5 grams plus the weight you want.  So if you wanted 10 grams of chemical, the scale will read 5 + 10, or 15 grams total.

And don't forget that baked baking soda and commercial washing soda weigh different because of the water in the washing soda. 

10.6 grams for baked baking soda (anhydrous sodium carbonate)
12.4 grams for Arm & Hammer washing soda. 
With enough distilled water to make 100ml.

If you don't have Arm & Hammer brand, I recommend baking the water out of it first and using the 10.6 gram amount. 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:15:49 PM by kephra »
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Josie29

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
Wow, still learning from you Kephra!!

The scale that I use does not auto zero as you describe. 

However, I do like your approach regarding using an item with known weight (i.e. nickel, 5 gms). 

In fact I have done something similar when dealing with very small weights: Placing a known weighted item on first and then adding the powder to be properly measured. (Subtract the known weight, thus getting the powder weight.) The theory is that the scale is more likely to recognize the powder weight more accurately than if I only had put the powder on the scale by itself. Sometimes the scale won't even register in the 0.004 gms region unless I use the known weight.

Offline Bobby

• Expert
  • Participant
  • "I walk slowly, but I never walk backward" Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:24:26 AM »
WOW!  Great Q & A! 

I have never thought of doing it that way. I’ve had the same problem with very small weights.

Always ask those questions. Someone out there may have the same one or don’t even know they have a problem.  Very cool!

Bobby
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"  Abraham Lincoln

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:19:42 PM »
In addition to endorsing this method, don't use the "TARE" function, which deducts the weight of the beaker. If you do this, you are then back to square one, trying to weigh the tiny weight.

There is an alternative, which is slightly wasteful but works. As the chemicals that we use are abundant and relatively cheap, you can weigh out four times the weight required and use four times the water required. This makes a larger amount of the same concentration of chemical. Any that you don't use, you can discard.