Author Topic: Measuring temperature during Colloidal Silver production  (Read 574 times)

Rancher55

Measuring temperature during Colloidal Silver production
« on: December 29, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
I've wanted to know the temperature of my batch during production.  My stir plate has a thermometer (stainless steel) that will regulate the temperature of the batch for consistency.

Will the metallic nature of the probe have any effect on the electrolysis during production? Obviously, it has no electrical connection to either the anode or cathode.  I haven't put it inside the liquid yet because of this unknown effect.  At present, I insulate the beaker with a jacket and slide the probe along the inside of the jacket against the glass.  But I would like to immerse it in the batch for better accuracy.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Re: Measuring temperature during Colloidal Silver production
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
Yes, it is possible that a metal probe would cause an electrolytic reaction. Use it by all means, but put it into the solution, take the temperature measurement and then remove it. Doing this will avoid any problem and the time in the solution is then insignificant.

To "measure" temperature without a thermometer, just heat the water to a simmer (you see bubbles form on the bottom of the reaction vessel, but the bubbles disappear before they reach the surface of the water).

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 06:05:06 PM »
it has no electrical connection to either the anode or cathode.

That is not quite true.  The water is a conductor, so the metal probe would be connected to both electrodes, and take on a voltage somewhere between zero volts and your anode voltage.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:19:20 PM »
I have always used one of those oven thermometers with the long probe. Stopped the flow of electricity, took the measurement and then turned the generator on again. That may be difficult with generators on a timer. Unless they have a pause function.

Rancher55

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 06:26:48 PM »
Thank you all!  I had a feeling in my gut that the metallic probe would become involved with the electrolysis.  But it  is nice to have this confirmed.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 08:26:56 PM »
It'll slow reaction time down but then you could just clip the thing to the side of the container and leave it in there during the run - just put a piece of plastic food wrap over it to keep it from contacting the water.

What Bill said is why you clean your containers once in a while with a little hydrogen peroxide.  It happens slowly if you're running your cells properly but you can't help but get a little silver building up on the inside of the container and you get the same "third electrode" situation.

None of this is hard, just not obvious.

Offline leogomide07

• Participant
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
Im using a test tube to isolate the sensor, i fill the test tube with water and put it into the solution while processing

It is worth noting that there will be a slight difference between the internal temperature of the tube and the external temperature of the solution (in my case around 2°C)