Author Topic: Question about Borax for Kephra  (Read 1789 times)

JohnC

Question about Borax for Kephra
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »
Is there a formula or method to make a highly soluable solution with distilled water and borax? You know, similar to the electrolyte formula; 12.6g anhydrous soda ash to 100 ml DW.
I'm having trouble getting pure borax to dissolve into the 40PPM cream. The Borax clumps and seems to resist the cream:even with soy lecithin in the mix.
Your thoughts?

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Question about Borax for Kephra
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 12:43:52 AM »
You won't be able to get the pure borax to dissolve in the already made cream without so much heat that it would be ruined. You have to have it dissolved in water first. The chart says at room temperature it will take 16 mls of water to dissolve 1 gram, but at boiling only requires 0.6 mls of water to dissolve (Wow!).

http://www4.mpbio.com/ecom/docs/proddata.nsf/(webtds2)/190308
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 12:49:33 AM »
Look up in wikipedia the solubility of borax.  That will tell you the maximum amount that will dissolve in water.
OR
Keep adding borax until no more will dissolve after a day or so.  Then decant the clear liquid.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

JohnC

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »
Thank you Maestro and forum expert.