Author Topic: Colloidal Silver impregnated material, dried, placed on skin. Discolour?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
I have impregnated a neck gaiter with colloidal silver 100ppm. It is in the process of drying now. When I put it on my face and start sweating etc, would it discolour my skin?

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
If its Colloidal Silver, I'd be shocked if it did.  If its IS, it could very well turn you blue (wink).

I'm not sure what you're wanting that Colloidal Silver cloth for but you can buy silver impregnated EM shielding material (don't recall where but when I looked a few years back it seemed to be easily obtainable).  IIRC someone actually made conductive bandaids out of it though I don't recall who that was or where they said it.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
Just for use as a face covering. I think this COVID lark is total nonsense but I might as well impregnate some silver in there since I have it and it's not an imposition on me to soak and dry it in silver.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
I have impregnated a neck gaiter with colloidal silver 100ppm. It is in the process of drying now. When I put it on my face and start sweating etc, would it discolour my skin?
No, I have never experienced any skin discolouration from any form of Colloidal Silver or Silver salt.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
So if I wash the neck gaiter in the sink, after it's dry, would I need to soak it again in Colloidal Silver? Or would the Colloidal Silver still be in the material?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
Almost certqainly the silver will have been washed out. You have to have special treatments and impregnation for materials to remain anti-bacterial; normally this is achieved by weaving silver thread into the cloth, i.e. the silver is in the form of metallic silver.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
Well as long as I know I just need to soak it (or maybe spray it to waste less silver) then I will just do that. Thanks.

On a functional level, because I am mainly soaking this as a potential shutter-upper if someone complains I am not wearing a surgical mask, would me soaking a thin neck gaiter in colloidal silver, drying it and then having it over my nose and mouth and inhaling & exhaling, actually provide any benefit? I know it should help kill anything which lands on the neck gaiter while it's in the bag not being used, but would it likely provide any health benefit if there were a dangerous bacteria or virus wofting around?

EDIT: Also, I just watched a video that explains how N95 masks work (very interesting) and a big part of it is electrically charged fibres to attract particles to them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAdanPfQdCA&feature=emb_logo and how trying to sterilize a disposable mask for re-use can damage that electrical charge and make the mask really bad at catching medium sized particles afterwards. So my other question is, if you soak a mask in Colloidal Silver (or in my case a neck gaiter) and then allow it to dry, would there be a charge from the silver that would help to attract particles to the silver? I am not sure how abundant the silver particles would be but assuming a mask or neck gaiter is fully soaked and allowed to dry, I would think it should have good coverage. So since silver's charge is supposedly one of the big aspects of why it can deactivate virus and bacteria etc, would this impregnation of Colloidal Silver add that kind of particle-attractive aspect?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:46:02 PM by Turbidaceous »

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
It will be better than an untreated mask or untreated neck-warmer, as bacteria will grow in any clothing that is worn too frequently without washing. I personally would be far more concerned about bacteria growing in a re-used face covering than about the viral load of such a garment.

Masks don't really work very well. See the post in the Coronavirus threads. The only reason to wear one is if the politicians mandate such an action. God or nature has ascertained what is necessary as a design to keep viruses and bacteria out, and only the camel and water mammals have nostrils that can be closed easily. The rest of us have convoluted passages which are perfectly adequate to stop pathogens.

My wife and I bought a couple of top-grade masks but we never use them because they are unnecessary. We then bought a couple of boxes of the cheapest possible surgical masks as soon as the politicians made it mandatory to wear one on public transport. Now we have decided that there is no significant benefit to any form of masking device except to keep the police away, so we have bought some neck-warmers that can be raised over the nose when it is absolutely mandated, and lowered around the neck when it is not. (Search "neck-warmer mask" on Amazon).

These are worthless as genuine "masks" but comply with the law (which just shows how useless the whole thing is; this is a control measure, not a safety measure) at minimal cost and minimal inconvenience.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
Oh believe me I am on board with this mask thing being worthless. I am only doing this in order to use the thinnest, darkest, most comfortable and least CO2 trapping face covering to "comply" with this idiotic mandatory thing. Now they will be mandatory in shops from next week. Just lovely.  I am just soaking it in Colloidal Silver because I can and for an extra talking point why my neck gaiter is more than enough to comply.

Edit: I think this sums it up: https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Wear-a-mask-protect-from-COVID19-by-morthawt/52402792.EJUG5

It makes me laugh when people say surgical masks protect you from the virus lol. I cannot believe the nonsense people believe, without doing any research into them.