Author Topic: Colloidal silver and adding it to Elderberry syrup  (Read 1157 times)

flavapor

Colloidal silver and adding it to Elderberry syrup
« on: October 03, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
Is there any reason why I couldn't add 2 tsp of 320 ppm to 8 oz of finished elderberry syrup?  If I did that that should give me a 40 ppm mixture correct?  I would only use this for  cold/flu or other ailments, not as preventative. 

The syrup is basically water, elderberries, rosehips, cinnamon, astragalus, honey and lemon.  I could omit the lemon if the acid would screw with the Colloidal Silver. 

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Colloidal silver and adding it to Elderberry syrup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 05:29:17 PM »
I was putting the 320 ppm into some lemonaid I was drinking that had lemon slices in the bottom of the glass and after a while, around those slices, it was turning red. Wrong colour. If you drink it all right away instead of waiting for this to happen it might be good.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

flavapor

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 09:41:37 PM »
Thank you for your input.  Do you think it only affected the color or the actual Colloidal Silver itself?

I add the lemon cut up as I make it so some of the acidity and it is all filtered out at the end of cooking.  The color wouldnt matter as elderberry is dark purple but if it did something to the gelatin capping that would not be good. 

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 11:52:15 PM »
The acidity is going to mess with the particles a bit. You could surely lessen this by using sodium bicarbonate to take the acidity out of the syrup before adding the colloidal silver - but sodium will have its own similar effect. I would not add colloidal silver to salty or acidic foods at all if you're going to store them like this. Rather take colloidal silver separately.

If you gel-gapped the Colloidal Silver it should be just fine, though.

flavapor

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »
I am thinking I will leave out the lemon.  I think I will test the ph of the next batch of elderberry and see what it is.  The 320ppm would be capped. 

This brings me to one more question, should we not add capped 320 to hot beverages?  Would it melt the gelatin and render it uncapped.  In my mind it would but I am no scientific genius. 

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
I put it in my coffee and can confirm that it still works.

Gelatin is protein which are large molecules. Water is a small molecule. Chemistry can remove it but not just hot water. Something like the effect of throwing ping pong balls at a bowling ball. No matter how many you throw, the bowling ball still won't move.

Your hair (protein) doesn't dissolve in hot water but it does relax. Hydrogen bonds weaken and let go allowing curly hair to straighten out even though the protein molecules are still bound into place.

I'm going off on a tangent. The short answer is no, hot water will not uncap the gel capped colloids.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

flavapor

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »
Thank you for that analogy Neofizz, that helps me a lot to understand some of this more technical chemistry.