Author Topic: cold reduction agents ,amounts & possible hazards?  (Read 649 times)

MRL

cold reduction agents ,amounts & possible hazards?
« on: November 20, 2020, 06:23:33 PM »
Hello community,

I have been making 20 ppm Colloidal silver as per Kephra's instructions with consistent results. I've decided to experiment now attempting cold reduction in place of the standard heated reduction. I've had success, or what I believe to be success in the reduction using the standard karo corn syrup reduction mixture. Colour is consistent with 20ppm as per Kephras instructions although there is a significant time increase, up to 12 hours total time as per my observations and I as far as I can tell the end product is the same.
I have read about other reducing agents more suitable for the cold reduction process and the optimal ones seem to be Maltose and Glucose. Are these alternatives even necessary and if so what are the benefits?

If I was to attempt using these or any alternative reducing agents, I assume I would make the identical 1 to 1 ratio for a glucose/water or maltose/water reduction agent mixture just like the Karo/water solution. I never like to assume, so please consider this a uneducated guess  :)  If this is not correct, kindly inform me of the proper ratio or guide me to the appropriate posts for further understanding.
Also, besides the substantial increase in reduction time, is there anything wrong using a karo cold reducing process?

Lastly, Is there anything wrong with a cold reduction process in general? I know the process is less efficient regarding the time needed for reduction but is it less efficient in other ways? Perhaps the cold reduction process leaves behind loose ions that may not have been reduced to colloidals or perhaps poses some other heath concern? It may or may not be obvious, but I ask because of the hazards of the ingestion of ions.

I look forward to your reply
Thanks to the community in advance

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: cold reduction agents ,amounts & possible hazards?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »
Cinnamon tincture is the best cold process reducer I have tried. Dextrose / glucose may be fast as well, but you can't do higher PPM with it. Cinnamon has been fine up to 200 PPM for me, and it reduces fast enough that I can keep a 5mA process going in the meanwhile.

Actually, cold process has been beneficial for me in reducing turbidity, meaning fewer big particles. The only downside is that the rate of reduction is slowed, and if your reducer can't keep up then you get fallout beyond 20 PPM's worth of ready-to-be reduced ions.

If there are ions left over, you can always tell by the bitter, metallic taste.

MRL

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
I will look into Cinnamon tincture and test it against my current and future reducing agents. I have yet to attempt anything beyond 20ppm as I wanted to fully grasp the process so I'll keep what you said in mind when I educate myself on higher PPM's and attempting to make higher ppm concentrations as well

I think I'm beginning to grasp the need for fast reducing agent for higher ppm's as reduction is happening while the current is being applied. The ions out run the reduction capabilities of the agent....I've read numerous posts and it's starting to settle in. Thanks

Well I haven't tasted any bitter metallic taste so that's a good thing.
I'll make a bad batch( low amount of reduction agent) to experience this metallic taste so I'll know how to identify it going forward. I'll also take note of the colour as well.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »
Kephra uses Karo also. He adds it after a run and puts the Colloidal Silver in the microwave for a while to heat it up to maybe 120F and that speeds the process up but maybe within a half hour to an hour?

I haven't tried it cold but glucose (a.k.a. dextrose in food use) reduces very quickly.  It might work good at room temp.

If you have a home beer/wine brewing supply shop near you, you should be able to get dextrose powder from them cheaply.  I did and bought a pound a couple years back and it cost me all of about $3 I think and thats a 10 lifetime supply.

MRL

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
Kephra uses Karo also. He adds it after a run and puts the Colloidal Silver in the microwave for a while to heat it up to maybe 120F and that speeds the process up but maybe within a half hour to an hour?

I haven't tried it cold but glucose (a.k.a. dextrose in food use) reduces very quickly.  It might work good at room temp.

If you have a home beer/wine brewing supply shop near you, you should be able to get dextrose powder from them cheaply.  I did and bought a pound a couple years back and it cost me all of about $3 I think and thats a 10 lifetime supply.

Thanks Gene. I have a bulk bag of Dextrose on hand. I'll mix a 1 to 1 agent and I'll try it out and take note of the results.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:55:02 PM by cfnisbet »