Author Topic: Asking for guess about the Voltage in my process with an older Sivertron 1.  (Read 482 times)

agz321

Greetings and best wishes, I'm using a silvertron 1 that has readout settings for PPM, ml Volume, and mA from 1 to 15.  I seen several post about the importance of having 10V between electrodes.  My process is to set the silvertron for 500 ml, 60 ppm, and 9 mA.  I use a heater/stirrer plate with temp. at about 180 F.  3 ml of cinnamon extract are used for the reducing agent and about 5 to 6 drops of soda wash for the electrolyte are needed to get the current read out up to 9 mA.  During the process current mA is the only real time readout and more electrolyte can be added if needed. The process takes about 50 minutes and I get a pretty uniform graying on my anode and what seems an acceptable plating on the cathode (1 1/2 inches apart).  The finished product has very clear amber color.  At the start of process when power is turned on, there is a noticeable foamy turbulence between the electrodes that disappears in about 3 minutes.  Is that normal?  Thanks for your help.  Lawrence

agz321

I should have added that my anode is a one ounce silver coin and my cathode is a 14 gauge? copper wire.  See photo, thanks Lawrence

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
I hope that silver coin is bullion because if its standard coin silver, its an alloy containing 10% COPPER and I wouldn't drink that if I were you.

I see minimal "bubbles" but only at the surface surrounding the cathode, not between them.

For 1 liter, the correct amount of electrolyte is 20 drops, 1ml. So for 500ml, its more like 10 drops. 5-6 sounds on the low side and without enough, it won't interfere enough with the plating out of the silver on the cathode which might explain why you're getting some. I would suggest not using less than 8-9 drops and just adjust your cathode to get the prescribed 10v.  Also, without enough, the PH may not be high enough for reduction - at least with glucose, maltodextrin, Karo - not sure about cinnamon.

Lose the 14 gauge copper wire. There's WAY too much surface area and you'll most likely be glancing the surface of the water to get the voltage where you want it.  Go find a broken ethernet cable of similar and extract a piece of wire from it. This stuff is either 23 or 24 gauge (Cat3,4 = 24 gauge, cat5 = 23 gauge).  Strip it about an inch and a half, wipe it off with a little alcohol on a tissue or something after you remove the insulation from both ends to remove any remnants of the manufacturing process and use that as your cathode. NOW you will get very good adjustability of cell voltage where at the right voltage you'll still easily have a half to 3/4" of cathod in the water.  This is what I do.

I initially started with 14 gauge and could never figure out why the adjustment was so touchy and then one run I walked away for about an hour and when I came back enough water had evaporated that the cathode was no longer in solution and I then had NO clue what I made. Thats when I decided to figure out whats going on and realized that the amount of copper surface area you need to get things set properly, for a 14 gauge wire is between glancing the surface of the liquid to maybe not more than 1/4" submerged and the adjustment is really touchy.  I found some of that 24 gauge wire and tried it for a contrast and it worked great so I've been using it ever since.