Author Topic: First Attempt Went Sideways  (Read 1060 times)

vancouverthunder

First Attempt Went Sideways
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
Good Day.  I have made colloidal silver for years and had incredible success with it.  Now I am putting my toe in the water with colloidal gold.
I followed the direction of a Youtube video that references this site.  I don't know where I went wrong and would like to correct my mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IdAEoGhJ10

I use a hotplate with a stirrer, not a microwave... I don't have one.

Ingredients:
500ml of Distilled Water which I make myself.  TDS shows 0 PPM.
We don't have Karo in Canada so I used Crown White Lily Corn Syrup.  Comparing the back of the bottle to Karo it is almost identical.
I made a 50/50 solution with DW.  The video used 24 drops for 250ml,  I used 42 for 500ml.
I mixed 10.6 grams of Sodium Carbonate in distilled water - total weight 100g. The video used 12 drops for 250ml.  I used 24 for 500ml.
2 ml of Salt Lake Minerals 1% Gold Chloride.

I put the 500ml of distilled water on the hotplate stirrer creating a vortex throughout the process.
Heated the DW to 100C before adding the 2 ml of Gold Chloride.
Increased the Temperature to 120 C to ensure it actually boils.
Added the Corn Syrup from the 1M solution next drop by drop. 42 drops.
Added the Sodium Carbonate solution 24 drops.

It took a several minutes to see any significant colour. First only in the vortex.
Then the pictures tell the rest of the story.  I really dont know what I did wrong so I don't know what to correct or what I should do differently.
Any help appreciated. Thanks  Can I at least put this on my plants? :)

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: First Attempt Went Sideways
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:23:09 PM »
I can't comment on colloidal gold as I've never made any but I do recall purple isn't the right color - ruby I think is but you can search on the forum as this has all been discussed earlier.

I won't bother looking at that video since I've never made colloidal gold.  I would suggest looking in Kephra's Notebook where there's a quick start guide that outlines how to make colloidal gold by several different methods and follow that because it works.

Yeah, it suggests using a microwave but I can't see why heating wouldn't work though hopefully someone here can comment on this.

Also too, from what I remember seeing, colloidal gold doesn't last too long unlike Colloidal Silver and I recall a suggestion to keep it in the fridge. So if I'm remembering correctly, Keprhas procedure where I believe he makes 250ml is probably better to stick with.  Since it only takes a couple minutes to make it and since 250ml will last you a while, I'd suggest to not take the chance and then waste any of that expensive gold chloride solution.

Regarding the corn syrup, Karo is about a third glucose, about a third maltose and the rest being water with an imperceptible amount of vanilla extract added to give it a pleasant flavor. Yes, the label says salt but they don't add any (its a TINY amount too).  Reason its there is because the process they use is acidic  (HCL) to extract it from corn and at the end of this process they have to add sodium hydroxide to neutralize the acid and this results in a tiny bit of salt (sodium chloride) being produced.

As far as your 50/50 (I think you're going to like this way), instead of using water, 50 corn syrup/50 vodka and store it in a dropper bottle.  With the alcohol in there which does not interfere with Colloidal Silver production (probably not colloidal gold either but maybe someone can chime in on this), you can leave that dropper bottle of it on the table forever and it will NEVER go bad or as is more commonly said in chemistry, it won't evolve life (wink).  A 2oz dropper bottle of the stuff will last damn near a lifetime unless your bias is to make swimming pools full of Colloidal Silver (wink).

Using DW, you'd need to keep it in the fridge and it will eventually become a science project even in the fridge, just more slowly than it would out on the table or counter at room temp. (wink).

vancouverthunder

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:39:29 PM »
Hi.  Yes I am aware Ruby Red is the color to go for. I have all of Kephra's methods written down.  I will try with maltodextrin next and 250 ml  ;)

I am just wondering what I did wrong so I won't do it again.

Thanks

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 03:15:27 AM »
I've always done it with maltodextrin as Kephra prescribes for the "Alternate Method -- even easier" and it has come out perfect every time. I've always made it fresh and used it right away so haven't had any go bad.

Have heard of making an electrum solution by adding about 20% or more of 20 ppm colloidal silver after the colloidal gold is made. It makes sense that the colloidal silver would stop growth in the colloidal gold but, I haven't done any experiments to confirm this. This is assuming it's a growth that is occurring during storage and not something else.

Finally, my colour confirmation is based on making one cup or about 250 mls. Making more means looking through more of it for the ruby red colour which would seem darker and possibly fooling me into thinking it's not the same colour. So do 250 ml batches at least at first to nail the colour and clarity.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."