Author Topic: Karo Syrup  (Read 3849 times)

Ringo

Karo Syrup
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:17:29 AM »
I just looked at the ingredients on my bottle of Karo Syrup and they are listed as corn syrup, salt, vanilla.  Is this inappropriate to use for making colloidal silver that will be consumed internally?

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Karo Syrup
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:42:12 AM »
Nope, its ok.  The salt content is very low, and the vanilla doesnt hurt a thing. If it worries you, you can make your own invert sugar or only add the corn syrup after you turn off the electrode power.

I have stated many times here that the very best colloidal silver is made using sodium carbonate only during electrolysis up to 20 ppm, then adding the reducing sugar and heating afterward.  This way you are not electrolyzing the sugar or anything other than the silver.  Above 20 ppm you should use maltodextrin or cinnamon instead of corn syrup anyway.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Ringo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:05:42 AM »
Okay, that makes sense.  Thank you for your prompt response, Kephra.  I really appreciate your willingness to help.

Ringo

Offline peri1224

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
I saw a bottle of pure glucose in the supermarket. Planning to use that instead of Karo. Hope that is ok.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
Sure, that would be fine.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »
Pure glucose sold in the supermarket?  Really?  What aisle was it in and if you don't mind, what was the brand/product name?

Glucose isn't very sweet.  I can't see anyone wanting to buy it over corn syrup which is about 50/50 glucose/fructose and much sweeter.

You can buy granulated glucose in home beer brewing supply stores - called dextrose but here it doesn't need to be sweet as its simply a nutrient for the yeast.  Some day I'll  get over to that place and buy a pound to try.  For now, the corn syrup serves me just fine and I'll probably die long before I use the pint bottle of it up anyway making colloidal silver.

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »
You may find Fructose (same effect as Glucose, same molecule only leftward-turning) in the baking products section. It's normally labelled "Fruit Sugar".

If you are in the UK, then the product known as "Golden Syrup" is our equivalent to "Karo". As far as I know, there isn't any vanilla in it. It works very well for making colloidal silver, as does the pure Glucose and Fructose.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 05:36:39 AM »
Pure glucose sold in the supermarket?  Really?  What aisle was it in and if you don't mind, what was the brand/product name?

Glucose isn't very sweet.  I can't see anyone wanting to buy it over corn syrup which is about 50/50 glucose/fructose and much sweeter.

I'm trying to resist rehashing a lot of these old posts but....

I found out during a little candy adventure with an old newfie friend of mine that glucose is a 'secret' ingredient used by some fudge makers. It doesn't add sweetness. It's more of a texture difference. Smoother. I can't be positive but I think we were using a 1:4 ratio of glucose to sugar instead of just sugar.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Gene

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 07:25:49 AM »
Maltodextrin also adds "character" to things, including beer (its a brewing additive).  It too isn't overly sweet but it has a nice "mouthfeel" as they call it.  But its also a good stabilizer.

There were (back when I was young) a few hard candies that just from memory of the taste, had to have used glucose as the sweetener.  But for the most part, people like almost sickly sweet for candy so its either sugar or corn syrup,...

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:17:34 AM »
I was looking around for Carbogain but couldn't find it. Will have to visit the brew supply stores I guess. I found it online (http://www.canadianprotein.com/maltodextrin.html) but they say,

" it is a complex carbohydrate and before it can be utilized, it must pass through your liver for the bonds between glucose molecules to be broken down"

One, is that true, and two, would that reduce silver going into the blood?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »
Untrue.  The enzyme maltase splits the complex carbohydrates into glucose molecules in the small intestine.
https://www.google.com/#q=where+are+complex+carbohydrates+digested

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »
Thanks for dispelling more online BS Kephra. I should have known better. I didn't thing what they were saying is correct but I'm so rusty I figured I'll bring it into this super-intelligent-forum and get the truth.