Author Topic: Colloidal Silver Color Samples  (Read 64658 times)

FlyingDutchman

Re: Colloidal Silver Color Samples
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
Why is 20 ppm the concentration at which we determine the particle size based on the surface plasmon response? I've read numerous articles on this forum which describe this phenomenon and I get that we're seeing the compliment of the blue being absorbed (red + green) and perceiving it as yellow, which is fine. But what is special about "20 ppm" which is the concentration that we use when making inferences regarding particle size. There's something I'm not getting, 20 PPM seems like an arbitrary value.

When we make the more concentrated stuff, what different sort of reasoning are we using to explain the color change? Obviously, it seems to be related to the concentration, but how am I to understand this difference in color change? This color change seems to be completely unrelated to the plasmon response explanation.

I have been struggling with the color issue, too. What may be interesting is to look into the lab analysis method called photo espectography UV-VIS (visual and UV range). This is an optical method used to analyze colloids, and the graphs produced will tell you two things right away: the most absorbed range(s) of wavelengths and the absorption rate. Absorbed wavelength translates to color perceived, and higher absorption rates indicate higher ppm and darker tints. This lab test is available at most university labs (here in Brazil) at a low cost, and it is something that is in my planning.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
Yes, gelatin makes the color darker.

Several people in Brazil market heat reduced (close to boiling point, constant current control at 5 mA) nano silver (no electrolyte, no reduction agent) as "the true golden silver colloid". I have asked and they claim it is stable over time. What I noted in videos and pictures is that the colloid gets the typical amber color, and after 1 hour cooking it should be around 20 ppm. I haven't found any comments on this process, though you may have addressed this in another post, but I was wondering how heat reduced and heat + glucose reduced compare, and why the 20 ppm heat reduced colloid does not have the yellow color that we would expect from a 20 ppm silver reduced with glucose?

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »
but I was wondering how heat reduced and heat + glucose reduced compare, and why the 20 ppm heat reduced colloid does not have the yellow color that we would expect from a 20 ppm silver reduced with glucose?

Silver won't fully reduce with heat only.  The reason is that the actual reducing is done by the hydrogen gas which evolves from the cathode during electrolysis.  The problem is, that some of the hydrogen is lost from the water, so there is insufficient hydrogen to reduce all of the silver with some ionic silver remaining.  Glucose provides complete reduction.

Thanks for the explanation, I had suspected that the electrolysis of the water was a determining factor, and I would also be worried about other by-products. I suppose I will be able to find those in the many reaction formulas you have provided, I will do some more study, as their reaction is always that they don't want, or don't need to add any chemicals to the process.

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2018, 09:20:33 PM »
as their reaction is always that they don't want, or don't need to add any chemicals to the process.
Thats a silly concern.  Glucose, maltodextrin etc are all just foods, and they make a superior product.
To worry about them as contaminants is especially silly since the colloidal silver will be totally contaminated by saliva, stomach acid, enzymes, etc, as soon as it is ingested.

Totally agreed, but so far I haven't been able to convince them of the contrary...

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2018, 07:09:09 PM »
Totally agreed, but so far I haven't been able to convince them of the contrary...
It was ever thus. You cannot make Colloidal Silver without wanting to pass on the concept to others, but when you do, they will immediately start to tell you where you are wrong, or that your product is more likely to cause harm than a commercial antibiotic (!) or that you don't know what you are doing, all without any evidence or knowledge whatsoever.

I have perfected the art of keeping a straight face when I am being spoken to by idiots. It is quite extraordinary how a nurse assumes that her/his qualification (as a nurse) also qualifies them to be an expert in biochemistry or nanoparticle manufacture. I have even been told, by a nurse, that I was wrong when I said that everyone sees the world upside-down, and that the brain performs the adjustment to perceive that "up" is actually "up". Extraordinary.

Offline nix2p

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
@ Timothy:

Добро пожаловать на форум CG & colloidal silver.
Все материалы на английском языке. Есть ценная информация о производстве коллоидного золота и коллоидного серебра для тех из нас, кто любит заниматься этим.
Лучшая часть этого - то, что процесс был задокументирован через этот форум. «Как будто у нас есть лучший друг, ведущий нас за руку». Вопрос, на который нужно ответить, это «найти способ» найти его »!

За ваше здоровье!

шухер

Постскриптум (Где Кефра? Кеп, говорите по-русски?)
Я учил французский и русский в школе 4 года, и я немного русти ... Я думаю, что это больше похоже на коррозию; сейчас!!!

TRANSLATION:
==========
Welcome to CG & colloidal silver forum.
All material is in English. There is valuable information on the production of colloidal gold and colloidal silver, for those of us that like to pursue that avenue.
Best part of it is that process has been documented throughout this forum. "It is like we are having best friend leading us by the hand". The question one needs to answer is to 'find a way' to acquire it"!

To your health!

Nix

P.S. (Where is Kephra? Kep, govorite po Ruski?)
- I took French and Russian in school for 4 years and I'm little bit rusty... I think it's more like covered with corrosion; now!!!

To your health :o
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up"!
Marty Feldman

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
I don't talk to spammers and bots.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
Let me translate Ukranian spammer for you.
Car wash dry for 3 minutes! http://sunnymlm.ru/ecology01.htm LUXE auto toweling of the latest microfiber. Production Japan. Absorbs any dirt, oil, etc. Prices Best and the possibility of earning. And Other microfiber products +79161414123 Skype: vsunnymlm

There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

Hoyrat

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2019, 11:53:00 PM »
Hello to everyone. A very useful forum. Thanks for the shared information. Product in the picture:
450 ml DW (PH 7.1)
Electrolyte: 50 ml clear ionic silver (TDS measured 18 ppm)
Power: 15 DCV
Current: 0.5 mA (500 microA)
No heating: 22 C room temperature.
Electrode: 15 cm silver bar.
The anode is in the water. The cathode was immersed in 1 cm.
Mixer: None
Reducer: None
Duration: 180 minutes
No metallic taste. It's not burning like ionic silver.
No residue.
TDS: 14 ppm.
What did I do now?
Is this a colloidal silver?
Or something else?

Hoyrat

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2019, 12:22:52 AM »
Thanks wgpeters for your reply. I'm practicing your techniques. I started to make 1 liter once. I added 20 drops of sodium carbonate as the electrolyte. 10 DCW, 3 mA. I did it for 100 minutes at room temperature. I cleaned the electrodes. The same color occurred. Even though I don't use a reductant.
There's something I don't understand.

Offline kephra

• Administrator
  • Participant
    • My World As I See It
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2019, 01:03:27 AM »
Check your water quality.
Also, fluorescent lighting and sunlight will reduce silver.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
Even though I don't use a reductant.

The reducer has at least mild stabilizing properties that keeps the colloids from clumping together into larger useless particles.

If I don't add the reducer it changes on me as well but keeps getting darker and darker until it looks kind of brownish. This can take from days to weeks for me.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2019, 07:48:37 PM »
As most people here I have become used to evaluate the process, presence of AgNP, particle size and concentration based on colloid color. As soon as the colloid shows a strong yellow color we know that we have about 20-25 ppm concentration (cross-referencing mA and time), caused by the Plasmon effect.
I have reduced and capped nano silver using many different protocols, some with application of heat, some at or slightly above room temperature.
When I do a citrate reduction/capping, that has to be done at 70-80°C, I generally heat up the water, add the sodium carbonate, glucose (to ensure full reduction) and citrate, and then insert the silver electrode. I noted that when I wait a minute or ten, the water will color bright yellow even if no silver is present. As the Maillard reaction should not take place at such low temperatures, I was puzzled, but now I learned that sodium carbonate will drastically lower the temperatures for the Maillard reaction to happen.
So my question is: When heat reducing nano silver, how can I be sure that it is indeed reducing, or am I just looking at a yellow solution because of the Maillard reaction?
Also: If it is a combination of the Maillard reaction and Plasmon effect, how can I evaluate yellow/amber colors with respect to concentration? Any thoughts?

FlyingDutchman

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2019, 09:26:40 PM »
I have tested this with sodium carbonate and corn syrup (glucose+maltose), heated to 200F and no color change occurs.  If you are getting color change its not from the Maillard reaction.  The Maillard reaction occurs between amino acids and reducing sugars.  So if no amino acids are present, its not the Maillard reaction.

Heat reduction uses no other reducing agents.

OK, thanks, I will investigate further. The color was too strong to be caused by just contamination or silver residue on the beaker.

Offline Turbidaceous

• Participant
  • Living in the UK
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2020, 09:00:40 PM »
Were the A and B bottles in the initial post created using Sodium Carbonate during creation? I did not use any in my current first attempts. I added some golden syrup but it's still hazy clear colour. I have ordered some Sodium Carbonate to add to it and I am hoping it should then reduce to the yellow colour. If I were to microwave what I have, would that reduce it?

Also, I had a glass I was dumping bits of water into from cleaning my bottles and I think I may have dumped other stuff in there. I put some of my silver into a glass and added some borax to see if it would raise the PH and go yellow... nothing happened so I got annoyed and dumped it into the waste water glass and low and behold it turned yellow like the pee you have after a while after having an energy drink... So no clue what was in there or what conditions were but I know (I think) that what I have will work if I can just get the ph sorted out even though I did not use any sodium carbonate during it's electrical creation?