Author Topic: Reverse osmosis system water (microsiemens)  (Read 1580 times)

alexp5

Reverse osmosis system water (microsiemens)
« on: January 24, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
Guys like to get your opinion. What would be lowest reading on TDS meter from your filtering Reverse osmosis system, I just install one and it is still in process to flashing pipes to reach pure water. What you would still use for making of Colloidal Silver what reading that would be? I am using distiller now but it adds up fast on electric power specially here in Eu. So wonder if I can save electric power using water from filter. I have only TDS what is read in microsiemens.

Thank you all

Offline kephra

• The older I get, the better I was
  • Administrator
  • Participant
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
    • My World As I See It
Re: Reverse osmosis system water (microsiemens)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Mine reads 15 to 16 TDS out of the RO filter.  This is not good enough to make 20 ppm Colloidal Silver for consumption.  I would consider 2uS to be max for quality Colloidal Silver.
There is the unknown and the unknowable.  It's a wise man who knows the difference.

alexp5

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »
Thank you, so far I am on second flush - 29 microsiemens, according to manual need one more flush, but I do not think so that will drop down bellow 2 microsiemens. But that water should be great for herbal extracts so not really spending money for nothing, that is usually done with tap water.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:52:43 PM by alexp5 »

alexp5

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
All flush out, very interesting result,  it must be getting contamination from sink faucet  tap, if I let it sit for while, read out goes up to 50 microsiemens after opening faucet, but 5-10 second running water, it goes down to 0 microsiemens so it should be good to go for running Colloidal Silver from it under the condition I let water run out little

schiaucu

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
The quality of output water is directly linked of the quality of input water. A good RO filter should run at 80 - 97% efficiency. In order to determine the efficiency, measure the raw input water with the tds meter and the same for the output water. Substract output reading from the raw input reading and divise to raw input reading then multiply by 100. The result gives you the RO filter efficiency. Below 80% you have to replace the osmosis membrane.

raw tds - RO tds/raw tds * 100 = % efficiency

the system should be between 80 - 97 % efficient

samiam

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »
Mine reads between 5 and 20. 5 immediately after filter replacement, 15-20 range after a month or so.

I would NOT recommend using RO water for Colloidal Silver. TDS reading of '0' for RO water does NOT mean the water is equivalent to distilled water as the TDS measurement accounts ionic contents only.

On the other hand, I have been using my RO water for colloidal gold(via microwave method) for years without any issue.

alexp5

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
The quality of output water is directly linked of the quality of input water. A good RO filter should run at 80 - 97% efficiency. In order to determine the efficiency, measure the raw input water with the tds meter and the same for the output water. Substract output reading from the raw input reading and divise to raw input reading then multiply by 100. The result gives you the RO filter efficiency. Below 80% you have to replace the osmosis membrane.

raw tds - RO tds/raw tds * 100 = % efficiency

the system should be between 80 - 97 % efficient

Good point,  this tap water in here seems be pretty good, direct reading is around 260 Microsiemens, that show on scale to be like I would have here simple carbon filter, but it is too jumpy, not 0 Microsiemens  forever. it is fluctuates lot, so I better stick with distiller.