Author Topic: A tincture question  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
  • When the answer is simple God is speaking:Einstein
A tincture question
« on: February 19, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anybody can help with me with a question.  The procedure below was posted a while back by an esteemed member,but there is one part that I need some clarification on.

1) Make the extract, and it should at least be in the ratio 1:2 (1 weight part dried herb/plant/spice and 2 weight parts alcohol). More alcohol can be added, but excessive alcohol should later on be boiled of to make the extract stronger. Let say you use 10 gram cannabis/hemp and its volume (in crushed form - use a mortar) is 50 ml, then add 100 ml alcohol. If tyhe alcohol does not cover it, then add extra alcohol. Mix it in a glass jar and seal it. Let it stay for a couple of days, and shake it off and then during those days. Filter it through a paper coffe filter and measure it. Measure the volume and now either boil off excessiver alcohol or add extra alcohol so that you get 50 ml - same volume as the weight in gram of the drired plant. Because then you know that 1 ml of the extract contains 1 gram of that plant. Fill the extract on a glass bottle and seal it.

2) As a general rule, use 1 mg of the plant extract to REDUCE and STABILIZE 100 mg of silver oxide to silver nanoparticles. A batch of 1000 ml of 100 ppm contains 100 mg silver.

3) For capping/coating the nanoparticles, then add 3 ml per 100 mg. For instance, reducing, stabilizing and capping 100 mg then requires 4 ml of the extract.

4) The extract MUST be added before the concentration reaches 15 - 20 ppm, and it's easiest to add it at start.

5) Make sure that the water then is heated ABOVE the boiling point for the alcohol, as this will boil off the alcohol but all compounds in the extract will remain in the water. It's not necessary though that the water has that high temperature at start.

To answer your question: For 1000 ml of 40 ppm, add 0.4 x 4 = 1.6 ml of the extract.

In this example it's stated that the end result should contain 1 gram of the plant per 1ml of extract. It states that you use 10 grams of plant which has a dried and crushed volume of 50ml. Now at the end it says to either boil off or add extra alcohol so that you're left with 50ml.  Does this mean that 1 ml of extract should contain 1ml of dried plant by volume or should the extract be reduced to 10ml so that it contains 1 gram per ml of extract?

Thanks far any advice

Stagno.
"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline reiyel2012

• Participant
  • French Canadien
Re: A tincture question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:30:04 AM »
I'm like you, it's not clear.

The end result at the end with 50ml, I think it's that. But it's not 1g/ml, but the 1ml of plant for 1 ml of extract. Maybe a mistake.

If it's not what I think, I want know like you the good receipe.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:50:24 PM »
Basically, you end up with the extract from 1 gram of plant material dissolved/mixed into each ml of your final solution.

So if you had 50 grams of plant material to start with, in the end you will have 50 mls of solution.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:06:45 PM »
Reiyel2012

Yes I'm leaning towards the 1ml of dried crushed plant per 1ml of extract,but I'm still unclear.

Neofizz

Yes that would seem to be the case,but then in the example it would have to be reduced to 10ml not 50ml and that would be a lot of reducing down,so I'm actually leaning towards the 1ml of dried plant to 1ml of extract,but I'm still unsure.

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
Millilitres are a measure of volume, not weight.

I would suggest you look at weighing the ingredients in grams and see if this looks sensible; that is, see if a gram of the leaf is a reasonable amount in volume, and take it from there.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
I was assuming a 1:1 tincture but after re-reading the post it says 1:2, oops.

Here's a brief article on weight to volume tinctures.

https://oldwaysherbal.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/making-weight-to-volume-tinctures/

More info might make it clearer, hopefully not as clear a mud.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »
cfnisbet,

Yes I weighed out my plant material and it weighed 50 grams and when crushed took up 250ml in volume,so my guess would be that it's a volumetric 1:1 ratio as reducing the menstruum back down to 50ml would seem excessive,so I'm leaning towards the volumetric ratio as opposed to weight. Thanks for the input

Neofizz

Thank you for the link,it is helpful. I'm leaning towards a volumetric ratio as opposed to by weight. I shall have to do some experimenting to find out for sure it would seem.  Unless someone knowledgeable in the art of tincture making and capping can advise me (wink wink).

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:28:06 PM »
Well I had a crack at using the tincture today,it was an abysmal failure.

I had 50g of dried plant material which measured 250ml when crushed and opted for the volumetric solution so I made sure I reduced my tincture down to 250ml once finished.

I aimed for 120ppm for my first run,so added 5ml of the tincture (4ml per 100ppm as per the instructions) to 1 liter of water and ran at 15mA for 2 hours,slowly bringing the temperature up to around 70C to boil off the alcohol. 

The end result seemed very dark for the 120ppm concentration and it had a silvery/oily residue floating on the surface which when I dipped my finger in it left a silver coating on my finger. I diluted some down to 20ppm just to see and although it seemed quite clear it was still quite a bit darker than the standard 40ppm I usually make and more orange in colour.

I am hoping to master this technique as it would be good for my vegetarian friends who won't use gelatin capped,but I'm not very hopeful at the moment. I am clueless.

Marilyn vos Savant

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
... I am clueless.
No, in the words of Thomas Edison, you have merely found another way which did not work. Edison (a flawed man - reference his work with mains electricity) nevertheless, possessed an very admirable quality. He was persistent to the extent that I believe he tried over a thousand different materials for a lightbulb filament before he found one that worked.

I would suggest that you do not boil off the alcohol - the suspension of the active ingredient in alcohol is the very basis of a tincture. The amount of alcohol used is trifling.

Offline Stagno

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »
cfnisbet,

Thanks for your encouraging words,I will certainly persevere.I'm just at a loss as to where to make corrections. Have I made the tincture incorrectly? What is the oily/silvery residue and why? There must be something causing a bad reaction somewhere. PeterXXL (who gave the initial instructions) recommended boiling off the alcohol,but I will try it at a lower temp as you suggest. Maybe I need to make the make a fresh tincture as there may be impurities causing the bad reaction. So many variables. I've been scouring the forum looking for information about using tinctures,but so far no luck.

Marilyn vos Savant