Author Topic: gold chloride  (Read 2275 times)

Offline gold purifier

• Participant
gold chloride
« on: August 12, 2020, 02:27:11 PM »
hello friends, i'm trying to produce gold chloride (chloroauric acid), and i need some help.
I would like to know, what is the correct PH for gold chloride since, after dissolving, the gold chloride powder in, chlorouric acid, already dilutes it in 22 liters of distilled water but, at the end, the PH is , always, "2". Would anyone know to tell me something about it?
Thank you in advance ... Gold Purifier.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: gold chloride
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
Many of the methods for producing gold chloride involve use of strong acids. Yes, it is a strong acid when the solid is dissolved in water. For reference, lemon juice is pH 2. Unlike lemon juice it will leave a purple burn if you get any on your skin (don't do that).

The sodium carbonate used in colloidal gold production raises the pH into the range where the reducer can react and reduce it. It brings it to the 8.0-8.5 pH range.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline gold purifier

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:56:20 PM »
Hi Neofizz, thanks a lot for your response. this method that I am doing, you are the one who indicated me, and I am very grateful for that. So, from what I see, there will be no need to dissolve so many times, the PH will always be the same, 2, so, what, advise me about it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:01:37 PM by gold purifier »

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
Dilution is not a good way to change the pH of something. This is because the pH scale is logarithmic. You would have to dilute it at least 10:1 to raise or lower it by one point. This is why we are using the 1 molar sodium carbonate. In the experiment outlined by Kephra (making 250 mls of colloidal gold) it only takes half a ml to raise the pH into the needed range.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline gold purifier

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »
Thanks again . .  So, if I just vaporize the acids from aqua regia, will it be ready to use?

Offline cfnisbet

• Administrator
  • Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:40:35 PM »
No, I doubt very highly if that will do what you want.

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »
Thanks again . .  So, if I just vaporize the acids from aqua regia, will it be ready to use?

This gets into dangerous chemistry and I don't recommend anyone without laboratory experience attempting it.

Aqua Regia is a combination of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid. The hydrochloric acid will boil off but not the nitric acid. As the gold dissolves in the aqua regia, nitric acid is transformed into nitric oxide, a deadly reddish brown gas. If there was any gold left in the vessel it was dissolved in then the nitric acid is used up. If all the gold dissolved, there will still be nitric acid in there.

I don't know of any way to get rid of excess nitric acid other than reacting it with more gold.

I don't know how your aqua regia was made. When I made mine it was ~30 mls of hydrochloric and 0.75 mls of nitric in order to get 1 gram of gold to dissolve off of the bulk bar. The reaction stopped right at the 1 gram dissolved or at least close enough.
Aqua regia can be up to 50% nitric acid and that is no good for this experiment.

If aqua regia was used that had too much nitric acid the only thing I can think of is to drop all of the gold out and start again. Sodium metabisulphate will drop the gold out and it can be recaptured in a filter paper. It will be gold powder that can be remelted to a solid again. Research this experiment (not here) before attempting it.

Note: Nitric acid is a very powerful acid which makes it very dangerous. In electroplating it is used to dissolve old plating off of aluminum parts as the nitric won't touch the aluminum. I saw a worker accidentally put a steal part in the nitric acid once. The boss found out and rushed to get the part out. It was in there 5 minutes. When he lifted the hook that the part was dangling on, it was completely gone!

Offline gold purifier

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 03:37:31 AM »
Dear friend Neofizz, I am a purifier of precious metals, and I have no problem handling acids. I have a lot of experience in this activity.
My problem is:

After producing chloroauric acid, with, 1g. of gold chloride powder, and 4 ml of aqua regia, I will have to vaporize it, now diluted, in 4 liters of distilled water. .. after that, add, 100 ml of distilled water, to finish the process. I did this procedure, according to your guidelines. Do you think that this way, the gold chloride solution would be ready for use or, would have some other procedure to do?

PS:, my aqua regia is: 25%HNO3 + 75% HCL

Offline Neofizz

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
Dear friend Neofizz, I am a purifier of precious metals, and I have no problem handling acids. I have a lot of experience in this activity.
My problem is:

After producing chloroauric acid, with, 1g. of gold chloride powder, and 4 ml of aqua regia, I will have to vaporize it, now diluted, in 4 liters of distilled water. .. after that, add, 100 ml of distilled water, to finish the process. I did this procedure, according to your guidelines. Do you think that this way, the gold chloride solution would be ready for use or, would have some other procedure to do?

PS:, my aqua regia is: 25%HNO3 + 75% HCL

Your mistake was to add aqua regia to your gold chloride powder, of which no one here told you to do. Distilled water is what you should have mixed it with. The only way I can see for you to salvage this loss is to use your purifying skills and purify that back to pure gold and go from there. Some nitrogen compounds can be very dangerous for your health. Don't go there.

After your last comment, I'm insulted and feel that I'm being discriminated against. I nor anyone else in this forum has EVER told anyone to add aqua regia to gold chloride powder. That's all on you! All I did was try to help you recover from the blunder you made.

(goes silent and won't be posting any more)

Offline gold purifier

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 07:41:30 PM »
Dear Neofizz, I think there was a misunderstanding here because I never intended to offend you and, if I did, I would like to apologize. One of the things I know best about is respecting people. I believe I misinterpreted your email where, you guided me about it. Well, I'll keep trying and, I'm sure I'll make it. If you want help me, I'll be immensely honored. Thans a lot.

Offline gold purifier

• Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 02:31:56 AM »
Dear NEOFIZZ, as promised, here is my first production of 40 PPM colloidal gold, from the gold chloride I made, in my laboratory. I said I could do that and so, here is it. Gold chloride, purity 999,999, 1%.
I appreciate about the help of the great masters of this forum.
This is the forum, fulfilling its purposes.