Author Topic: Fermentation and bad smell in Colloidal Silver stored in glass bottles  (Read 468 times)

bm777

Hi all,

I opened a bottle containing a week old Colloidal Silver @20ppm and I smelled fermentation and a putrid smell.

It's never happened before, so I'm a t a loss as to what could cause that. All equipment is sanitized before use. I use golden syrup as a reducing agent and washing soda as an electrolyte and followed the instructions accurately.

Has someone else experienced this?
Thanks in advance and regards to all.
GB

Offline Josie29

• Expert
  • Participant
Re: Fermentation and bad smell in Colloidal Silver stored in glass bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:05:47 PM »
"It's never happened before" suggests that you have made Colloidal Silver successfully on other occasions.

Assuming your approach has stayed the same, your recent situation of 'fermentation and a putrid smell' suggests that either the container still had some residue (not completely sanitized),  or there is some contamination within the golden syrup or electrolyte. 

If the golden syrup is old, perhaps it is time to make new. (Fortunately this is not terribly expensive!)

From my experience, I've never had a problem with my electrolyte being either contaminated or 'too old.'

Just my two cents!

bm777

Re: Fermentation and bad smell in Colloidal Silver stored in glass bottles
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

While waiting I made another batch of reducing agent and electrolyte and proceeded to make a new batch of 20ppm Colloidal Silver..
Re-sanitized the glass bottle/s and let's see how we go now.
Yep, all other times it's been fine, been making it for 2-3yrs..
Well, let's put that to experience..
Thanks again and all of the best
GB