Author Topic: Cloudy Colloidal Gold  (Read 1403 times)

Ape

Cloudy Colloidal Gold
« on: February 15, 2021, 04:27:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've recently started trying to make colloidal gold by electrolysis. I'm new to this so please bear with me and point out any silly mistakes I'm making!

Unfortunately, every batch comes out consistently cloudy. Can anyone provide any insight into where I'm going wrong and how to get this right?

It appears clear until around 35 mins in, at which point it gets a slight yellow haze when the light hits it. If you leave it running for 90 minutes the cloudiness is very clear.

I will detail my exact setup and process below. Any help would be massively appreciated! It's so annoying that this is happening, I'm meticulous about weighing, cleanliness temperature etc. but it just won't produce a clear result.

Ingredients
  • 500ml distilled water
  • Sodium chloride (lab-grade 99.9% pure from APCPure.com)
  • Tri-sodium citrate (lab-grade 99% pure from APCPure.com)
  • ⌀ 1mm 99.99% gold wire (cooksongold.com)
  • ⌀ 2mm copper wire (cooksongold.com)

0.5M Stock Solution Preparation
  • 0.3g of NaCl dissolved in 100 ml of distilled water
  • 1.47g tri-sodium citrate dissolved in 100ml of distilled water

Method
  • Hold 500ml of distilled water @ 90°C - This isn't fluctuating more than 1°C either way
  • Stir @ 810 rpm - As fast as I can stir it without it spilling
  • Insert gold anode and copper cathode - Both sunk 80mm into the beaker, approx. 40mm - 50mm apart
  • Set DC power supply to 36V constant voltage - my amps read at 0.235
  • Wait....

Observations
After 12 mins the water turns very slightly pink, by 20 minutes its deep pink and after 30 mins it's a bright, sunset red. It appears to be crystal clear until 40 mins when a slight yellow haze appears at the top of the beaker. After 90 mins the liquid has turned deep ruby red but is cloudy and when light shines on the surface it looks yellow.

Ape

Re: Cloudy Colloidal Gold
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:25:55 PM »
Just adding that I got this recipe from WGPeters: https://wgpeters.wordpress.com/how-to-make-colloidal-gold-and-silver/colloidal-gold/.

I spent a while digging through the archives here last night and found the 40ppm (approx) Colloidal Gold, Electrolysis, II method. I think I will give this a try :)

Can someone please clarify a couple of things for me:
  • How hot is "hot water"? It says "heat to near boiling", does that mean 80°C, 90°C, 95°C etc.?
  • It says '5 drops' of invert sugar. How much is five drops exactly? Does that mean 0.25 millilitres?
Thank you!

Ape

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 01:23:46 AM »
OK, I'm not sure why there were zero contributions to my problem on here. I tried my best to be clear and concise and not waste anyone's time.

I've figured out that the problem was to do with cheap, contaminated distilled water. I purchased new distilled water from a local lab supplies company and WG Peters recipe worked perfectly.

Anyone else experiencing cloudy/haze issue should experiment with different sources for their supplies.

Maybe try making new members feel a bit more welcome in future? This is me leaving this forum for good. And I'm gutted about it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:33:46 AM by Ape »

Offline SaltyCornflakes

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 02:51:34 PM »
This is a small forum and sometimes posts just fly under the radar. I had a similar issue when I started with colloidal gold production. I'm sure no one intended to ignore you.

Re: Your questions. Anything above 80°c has been working fine for me, boiling temp works fine as well as long as you have a lid to counter water loss. There's some formulas here for products like molar solutions, check the various subforums. The colloidal gold method with maltodextrin has worked better for me than the one with sodium citrate. It's also simpler.

Offline Josie29

• Expert
  • Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »
Ape:  I don't make colloidal gold. I may have answered otherwise. You are not being ignored - though it may feel that way. Some of us don't do colloidal gold. Others who do it may have a life outside of the forum and only read the forum every now and then.

Don't give up on us! Generally the group is very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge.

My two cents!

RedDogJT

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 07:02:31 PM »
I've always had perfect results by simply buying the Gold Chloride and then following W.G. Peter's microwave recipe.
One and done in minutes! Perfect clear ruby color.
Love it.
Not ignoring, but I don't visit this forum very often, even though it is the best site on the web for detailed information. Not sales hype.